File is corrupted!!!

Discuss the word processor
mrvtz

File is corrupted!!!

Post by mrvtz »

Open office file does not open :crazy: There is important information in Master's Thesis.The file is broken.Help :(
Windows 10/Open Office 4.3.1.
RusselB

Re: File is corrupted!!!

Post by RusselB »

This (or similar) have been mentioned a lot.
[Tutorial] The Dreaded Pound Signs: file reduced to ####
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
mrvtz

Post by mrvtz »

I hope the problem is solves.
mrvtz

Post by mrvtz »

RusselB wrote:This (or similar) have been mentioned a lot.
[Tutorial] The Dreaded Pound Signs: file reduced to ####
:crazy: :crazy: It did not
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Did you try the solutions in the linked post?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
mrvtz

Post by mrvtz »

robleyd wrote:Did you try the solutions in the linked post?
Yes, I did. The same problem.I am frustrated.Angry and upset.I can die :alarm:
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Some detail might help us help you. You say
Open office file does not open
What exactly happens - do you get a file that opens but is full of # characters, or does something else happen?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
mrvtz

Post by mrvtz »

robleyd wrote:Some detail might help us help you. You say
Open office file does not open
What exactly happens - do you get a file that opens but is full of # characters, or does something else happen?
Yes.####
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Honestly, I think your file is dead. Try to resume from a former version.
I hope you had backups somewhere.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

##### means your file is full of zeros (actually NULs which display as #) and there is no data in it.

See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for instructions on how to identify and un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. You should be able to recover all or most of your file.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
mrvtz

Re: [Hint] How did I fix my ODT file

Post by mrvtz »

The file is corrupted.There was writing and painting in it.It's 100 pages but 1000 pages.Very important.Can I send it to you?
mrvtz

Post by mrvtz »

Hagar Delest wrote:Honestly, I think your file is dead. Try to resume from a former version.
I hope you had backups somewhere.
:crazy: Also a bad replacement.I am very sad :oops:
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I a\m sorry but there is no point. The file is empty and has nothing but nulls in it - just like this file.

See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for instructions on how to identify and un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. You should be able to recover all or most of the file. If you do not have a backup it is your only hope.
Attachments
empty file.odt
File full of nulls which display as ######
(19.04 KiB) Downloaded 194 times

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
mrvtz

Post by mrvtz »

Thank you, but it did not work.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

In that case you are beating a dead horse. By posting (essentially) the same question to multiple threads, you are asking the same people the same question again. This not only wastes your own time, but also the time of helpers (we do not always discover immediately that this is the same person who already got a complete answer in another thread).

There is no easy solution, based on the information you have presented to us about what you can find and what you have done.
You probably have a deadline coming up. Stop wasting time. Start typing. Keep backups.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

mrvtz wrote:Thank you, but it did not work.
Why did it not work? Is it because you have a solid state disk (SSD)? If you do have a SSD Windows will silently delete the temporary files.

If you do not have a SSD then act quickly. Ask someone with good computer skills to follow the instructions given. You should be able to recover all of your file up to the last time you opened it.

mrvtz

Post by mrvtz »

John_Ha wrote:
mrvtz wrote:Thank you, but it did not work.
Why did it not work? Is it because you have a solid state disk (SSD)? If you do have a SSD Windows will silently delete the temporary files.

If you do not have a SSD then act quickly. Ask someone with good computer skills to follow the instructions given. You should be able to recover all of your file up to the last time you opened it.
Thank you.File desktop.I hope it will be the first.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I've merged all the posts in the same topic. Please don't multipost.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

mrvtz wrote:Does the Office have remote access from the computer? How can I reach them? Sorry, my file is not healing. In the file I just do not understand ### ??? from the computer, I'm afraid to do something. This file is very important, graduate thesis.I have worked very hard. I am very sad :crazy:
Maybe somebody can solve the problem.
Re your PM above (I don't reply PMs for matters discussed in the forum): there is no support team that can be reached if that's what you mean.
Follow the tutorials that have been linked in previous posts. Honestly, very few chances to recover anything now because actions need to be taken immediately after the problem. Almost 3 weeks afterward, very likely that all the temporary files have been deleted.
I hope you had backups or copies somewhere.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

1 If you are using a Solid State Disk (SSD) there is almost no hope of un-deleting the temporary files as they will almost certainly be overwritten by now.

2 If you are using a normal, rotating hard disk, there is still a possibility of recovering something, but the longer you leave it, the more likely the temporary files you need will be deleted.

3 Print off [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files which has detailed instructions on how to identify and un-delete the temporary files Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. Go to a PC repair shop or you university Computer Department and give them your PC and the printout and ask them for help.