[Solved] Report Builder Extension Replacement

Discussions about using 3rd party extension with OpenOffice.org
White Phoenix

[Solved] Report Builder Extension Replacement

Post by White Phoenix »

Is there a replacement for the Oracle Report Builder (formerly Sun Report Builder)? Since it is greyed out in the extensions list, I am assuming it no longer works.

While I have not been needing it all this time, I have found an extension that I really could use, EuroOffice Chart Map Professional by MultiRáció Ltd. Unfortunately, according to its synopsis, it is dependent on the Sun Report Builder, in order to use it with the database. Although, it looks like that extension is limited to only Europe and it looks out-dated itself.
Last edited by White Phoenix on Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Windows 7 Professional. 4.1.11 on Linux Mint 18.3 with Cinnamon.
charlie.it
Volunteer

Re: Report Builder Extension Replacement

Post by charlie.it »

Ciao, I see Report Builder here: http://extensions.services.openoffice.o ... rt-builder.
I can download it normally.
charlie
Italian AOO Admin
macOS 14 Sonoma M1: Open Office 4.1.15 - LibreOffice 7.5.7.1

http://www.charlieopenoffice.altervista.org
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

LibreOffice comes with an integrated report builder.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
White Phoenix

Post by White Phoenix »

charlie.it wrote:Ciao, I see Report Builder here: http://extensions.services.openoffice.o ... rt-builder.
I can download it normally.
That is the one I just reported as not working, as in obsolete.
Villeroy wrote:LibreOffice comes with an integrated report builder.
Then it is possible that AOO does as well, which is probably why the extension is disabled by the program. Can anyone confirm this speculation?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Windows 7 Professional. 4.1.11 on Linux Mint 18.3 with Cinnamon.
charlie.it
Volunteer

Post by charlie.it »

It is the last version avilaible. The version for LO is the same while being embedded.
charlie
Italian AOO Admin

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Look up Report Builder in OO Help (4.1.3). It says to install the extension from the location cited above and also a JRE.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
White Phoenix

Post by White Phoenix »

An error occurred.

Sorry, the page you are looking for is currently unavailable.
Please try again later.

If you are the system administrator of this resource then you should check the error log for details.

Faithfully yours, nginx.

It may be the latest available, but it is very old. I have had this extension when AOO was Oracle OpenOffice.
charlie.it
Volunteer

Post by charlie.it »

The latest version is 2010, it is old and full of bugs, but it's the only one we have. However, you can download, install and use it. Until someone writes a new ....
charlie
Italian AOO Admin

White Phoenix

Post by White Phoenix »

Did I happen to mention that the extension is greyed out? I have not disabled it. What does it mean when the extension manager displays an extension as being greyed out?

Before I was distracted by the chart map extension, my question was is there an extension that can be used in place of Report Builder? So the answer is “no”.

If no one has created a replacement by now, no one is going to.

I need an office suite that I can depend on and won’t break if it’s customized (or doesn’t need customization). I was happy with Works. It didn’t give me any problems. If Microsoft hadn’t discontinued it I would still be using it. If someone created a Works clone for Linux and was reasonably priced, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I am tired of junkie freeware.
Last edited by White Phoenix on Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Usually that means the extension is disabled. If you click on it you may get Restore Remove buttons. If not, it means it is installed but lacks something in its configuration or else is not suitable for the OO version.
White Phoenix

Post by White Phoenix »

Then obviously it is not suitable for the version. So it goes back to “Sorry... No Report Builder for you.”
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I have just downloaded and installed (by double clicking it) Report Builder 1.2.1 on my OO 4.1.3 (running on Xubuntu). It installed correctly, is not greyed out, selecting it in Extension Manager gives Disable and Remove buttons.

Examining its internals I note it is written in Java, so you need a working Java for it to work correctly.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

On a 64-bit Windows system you can install a 64-bit version of LibreOffice or you install a 32-bit version of Java in order to match the 32-bit OpenOffice.
In either case you have to install or upgrade the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Service Pack in either version 32-bit (for OpenOffice with Java) or 64-bit (for LibreOffice with Java).
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
White Phoenix

Post by White Phoenix »

Oi. It’s been a long time since I checked for replies to any of my old posts. Well, I am now on AOO 4.1.11 still useful. While I haven’t had a pressing need for Report Builder after all, I do have 32-bit Java and MS Visual C++ 2010 Redistributables for 32 and 64 bit installed.

To open the Report Builder
1. Open a Base file or create a new database.

Okay, now I know why I have never used it. I hardly ever use the database. I prefer flat databases since that is all I need to fill my needs. Since MS Works was discontinued and since I don’t like Access, I’ve just used Calc spreadsheets for databases. I have thought of using MySQL but I am more into creative pursuits and researching for background material (history, culture, mythology, foreign works, etc) than I am doing technical stuff. If Apache, or anyone really, were ever to do an open version of Works, I would be interested in that. Actually, if anyone made an updated version of Works that was 100% Unicode compatible, I would buy it. I had no problem buying programs. I just didn’t want to pay for something I didn’t want to use, especially if it’s overpriced. LibreOffice is a MS Office clone now. If I liked MS Office, I would just buy that. So far I haven’t found anything I like better than OpenOffice and while it may not be the most efficient way to do things, it fulfills my needs and level of expertise.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I’ve just used Calc spreadsheets for databases.
How to create a report from a spreadsheet list in less than 5 minutes (with or without Report Builder)
1) If the list (rectangle of cells representing records and fields) is the only content on the sheet, skip the next step.
2) Select the list including any column headers, call Data>Define... and give a name to the list. Under "More options" check "Contains header" if the list contains a first row of column headers.
3) File>New>Database...
[X] Connect to existing database
Type:Spreadsheet
[X] Register the database (does not harm)
Save the database.
Look at the database tables.
Nothing has been converted nor imported. Your data are still in the spreadsheet and they are editable by spreadsheet applications only. This connect to a spreadsheet is just a pseudo-database.
4) Click the report section and let a wizard create a new report. Without report builder the result will be a Writer document with database data dumpled into a Writer table. With the Report Builder installed you get another type of document with a lot more functions and layout options, including pictures that are saved as file names in the spreadsheet cells.
White Phoenix

Post by White Phoenix »

Villeroy wrote:
How to create a report from a spreadsheet list in less than 5 minutes (with or without Report Builder)
Thanks, Villeroy. This will work as a replacement for the report builder should anyone need it.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Report Builder Extension Replacement

Post by Villeroy »

White Phoenix wrote:
Villeroy wrote:
Thanks, Villeroy. This will work as a replacement for the report builder should anyone need it.
Nope. This is one way how the Report Builder can be used with spreadsheet data, with csv or dBase or anything that can be connected to a Base document.
Sheet --> Base --> Report (simple table or advanced with RB)