All my text is underlined in red

Discuss the word processor
pauliw25

All my text is underlined in red

Post by pauliw25 »

I am running Open Office Beta 3
My operating system is Vista SP1.

Recently when I opened my OO beta 3 - I selected the CHECK FOR UPGRADES option and downloaded and installed what I thought was an upgrade for Beta 3.
Now in Writer - all my text in any document is underlined in red as if the word is misspelled.

What you have caused this and how can I fix it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Paul
Last edited by pauliw25 on Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
L.O 3.4.5 on Windows 7 Home Premium - 64 bit
Cambirder
Volunteer

Re: All my text is underlined in red

Post by Cambirder »

Sounds like your language settings may have changed. Have a look under Tools> Options> Language settings, to make sure it does not thinks you are working in Serbo-Croat or some other non relevant language.
OOo 3.3 on Windows 7 & 3.2.1 on Mint 10
pauliw25

Post by pauliw25 »

Thanks for your reply.

I checked my Language setting and everything is set for USA English. Resetting everything - then changing back to english also did not help. Apparently something else is causing the problem.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Paul
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
pauliw25

Post by pauliw25 »

Thanks for the information.

After reading the info you referenced - it appears that OO 3 beta 2 has an very serious unresolved English dictionary problem that is causing this problem.

Unfortunately, this also means that I will be unable to use OO3 until the problem has been resolved.

Thanks for the info.

Paul
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

That's why its a beta, to find issues like this. Use V2.4.1 for important work until V3.0 is released.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

pauliw25 wrote:it appears that OO 3 beta 2 has an very serious unresolved English dictionary problem that is causing this problem.
But it can be fixed (at least in the GNU/Linux version), you should try to find that dict-en.oxt extension. See also that thread: [Solved] OOo 3.0.0 Beta dictionary files.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
pauliw25

Post by pauliw25 »

Thanks for your replies. Being a novice - I am not really sure where to find the dict-en.oxt extension. I did not see anything listed like that when I checked the OO website where I normally find extensions. I have also discovered - the only way I could install OO 2.4.1 is if I completely uninstall OO 3.0 first.

If someone could tell me where to find the dict-en.oxt extension and how to install it - I would be very appreciative.

Paul
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

In the thread linked by thomasjk, wastefulness wrote:If you're looking for the dict-en.oxt file there is one in OOo-dev 3\share\extension\install.
Not sure it applies to Windows however.
Caracalla
Volunteer

Post by Caracalla »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:
In the thread linked by thomasjk, wastefulness wrote:If you're looking for the dict-en.oxt file there is one in OOo-dev 3\share\extension\install.
Not sure it applies to Windows however.
I'm at work, being bored out of my skull, so i don't have access to OOo right now. But that path looks about right for Windows.
Has your question been answered? Then please add [solved] to the title of your thread.
My pet peeve, No support for international ordinal numbering
please vote

Er is nu ook een Nederlandstalig forum!
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Opensuse 11.1
pauliw25

Post by pauliw25 »

Thanks

Now let me ask what may appear to be a really dumb question. How to you get to OOo-dev 3\share\extension\install?

I have tried cutting and pasting that address into my browser and it's not getting me anywhere.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

That's the location on your hard drive. Use windows explorer not your browser.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

It seems to be different under Windows. See in Program Files\OpenOffice.org3 perhaps.
pauliw25

Post by pauliw25 »

Thanks for your help.

I started up OO3 Beta 2 - then went to my Extensions Manager.

From there I hit ADD - and went to my PROGRAM FILES/OPENOFFICE.ORG 3/SHARE/EXTENSION/INSTALL directory and installed the file dict-en.oxt. The installation appeared to be successful.

However - when I closed OO3 and started it up again and opened my document - I still had the same problem. Every word had a red spellcheck line underneath it.

What could I have done wrong?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

See here now: [Tutorial] Spell check and Language configuration.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
pauliw25

Post by pauliw25 »

Hagar - I'm afraid you lost me somewhere. I reviewed the article you referred to - but I am not able to figure out what I am suppose to do to resolve the problem.

I saw the one item that referenced if spell check is not working - however - I don't think that this is the problem. Spell check definitely appears to be working, however, it still thinks that every word in any document I open or create is misspelled.

Paul

:?:
juanon

Post by juanon »

I struggled for 4 days with the same thing before resolving it. There is definitely a problem with OO 3 Beta and the installation of the English (US) dictionary. I think it shows up if, like me, you deleted any and all prior versions of OO. If, for example, 2.4 is still around, I think that maybe 3.0 Beta will fall back on it's dictionary. But when it's not, there's nothing there for it to use.

If you look in C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\share\uno_packages\cache\uno_packages there will be 3 folders that end in .tmp_ and begin with some numeric-alphabetic combination (for example, right now on my laptop they are 8F.tmp_, 91.tmp_ and 93.tmp_ but they are different on my desktop so the naming varies with the installation). The "first" of these (8F.tmp_ on my laptop) will have a subfolder named dict-en.oxt and within that you should find a bunch of dictionary files for English. In my install, the files for US English were missing (always was the case after repeated installations on different computers, so it wasn't anything I was doing!). In other words, en_US.dic was missing, as was en_US.aff (not recalling with certainty about others mentioned below)

If you go to http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wik ... US.2CZA.29 you can download the files (for spelling, hyphenation and thesaurus) and unzip them into your dict-en.oxt, reboot your computer and start up OO and voila, you have a working spellcheck.

Again, definitely a problem with the installation routine, one that I think must get missed a lot because the OO 3 Beta will use dictionaries from previous versions if they're around.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + MS Windows Vista
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

pauliw25 wrote:Hagar - I'm afraid you lost me somewhere.
First you've to make sure that the dictionary files are correctly installed, juanon's post repeats what has been said in the 2 threads linked at beginning of this topic.

If it still doesn't work, you've to make sure the language for the Default paragraph style is correct (language & spell checking tutorial).
Cambirder
Volunteer

Post by Cambirder »

juanon wrote:I struggled for 4 days with the same thing before resolving it. There is definitely a problem with OO 3 Beta and the installation of the English (US) dictionary. I think it shows up if, like me, you deleted any and all prior versions of OO. If, for example, 2.4 is still around, I think that maybe 3.0 Beta will fall back on it's dictionary. But when it's not, there's nothing there for it to use.
You may well have found a problem, but why would you want to delete the stable version and work exclusively with a beta version? surely that is tempting fate somewhat.
OOo 3.3 on Windows 7 & 3.2.1 on Mint 10
juanon

Post by juanon »

Cambirder wrote:You may well have found a problem, but why would you want to delete the stable version and work exclusively with a beta version? surely that is tempting fate somewhat.
Obviously, given that this is an uncommon experience, the Beta works with the stable version, but I had also been using the previous Dev versions of 3.0 and found that 3.0 Beta wouldn't install properly and open when those were still around (at least on my Vista desktop). Being the risk taking, living on the edge kind of guy that I am, I deleted all previous OO! And, good thing that I did, to find this problem!
:)
juanon

Post by juanon »

Actually, it turns out that the fix I describe for the dictionary doesn't work with the thesaurus. There doesn't appear to be a thesaurus that works when only OO 3 Beta is installed.

Any suggestions?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I assume you've the thesaurus file in the dict-en.oxt folder.

Do you see that in the dictionaries.xcu file in your OOo user profile (...user/uno_packages/cache/uno_packages/....../dict-en.oxt)?

Code: Select all

<node oor:name="ThesDic_en-US" oor:op="fuse">
            <prop oor:name="Locations" oor:type="oor:string-list">
                <value>%origin%/th_en_US_v2.dat</value>
            </prop>
            <prop oor:name="Format" oor:type="xs:string">
                <value>DICT_THES</value>
            </prop>
            <prop oor:name="Locales" oor:type="oor:string-list">
                <value>en-GB en-US</value>
            </prop>
        </node>
pauliw25

Post by pauliw25 »

Thanks to everyone for their replies

Like juanon - when 3.0 beta came out I installed it and deleted OO 2.4. Why? Because 3.0 had some really neat features I liked and I always had (Sorry folks) and old version of MS Word 2000 as a backup

I have tried installing the englist oxt files and the en dictionary, thesaurus, hyphenations, and making other changes per the suggestions I've been given, and still am facing my original problem..

In order to try to simplify things - I tried uninstalling OO3 and installing 2.4.1 - then reinstalling OO3 - that did not work either.

Is there a way to "clean boot" Openoffice so that it would not retain any of your old settings - then reinstalling both OO 2.4.1 and OO3 and have this problem resolved?

Paul
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

To start with a clean configuration, rename the OOo user profile (see reset the OpenOffice.org user profile). Then start again, OOo and complete the registration wizard.

- Install the dict-en.oxt extension
-> In Tools>Options>Language Settings>Writing Aids, if you click the Edit button top right, what are the languages having the V tickmark in the drop-down list? Do you see English (USA)?
-> Open the Stylist (F11), right click the Default paragraph style entry, Modify and see what's the language set in the Font tab.
pauliw25

Post by pauliw25 »

Since my last post - following the instructions above I did a "clean boot", both OO 2.4 and 3.0.

Unfortunately I ran into my original problem with the installation of 3.0. When I installed the dict-en.oxt file - I immediately noticed in the Extension Manager that I now have two Extensions labeled English spelling and hyphenation dictionaries and thesaurus Version 20051213.

The first one has a picture of a lock in the upper right-hand corner. Both the Disable and Remove buttons are greyed out.

The one below it - the one I installed does not and shows the Disable and Remove buttons are available.

How can I delete the first English extension? I believe if I could so that - the program would use the second extension - thus resolving the problem.

Thanks for your help and patience!
juanon

Post by juanon »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:I assume you've the thesaurus file in the dict-en.oxt folder.
Yes
Hagar de l'Est wrote:Do you see that in the dictionaries.xcu file in your OOo user profile (...user/uno_packages/cache/uno_packages/....../dict-en.oxt)?

Code: Select all

<node oor:name="ThesDic_en-US" oor:op="fuse">
            <prop oor:name="Locations" oor:type="oor:string-list">
                <value>%origin%/th_en_US_v2.dat</value>
            </prop>
            <prop oor:name="Format" oor:type="xs:string">
                <value>DICT_THES</value>
            </prop>
            <prop oor:name="Locales" oor:type="oor:string-list">
                <value>en-GB en-US</value>
            </prop>
        </node>
Yes, though the last <value> line includes en-ZA as well.

But still no thesaurus function!
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

@ pauliw25: the extension is locked because it has been installed by with the admin rights. You can run OOo as admin and remove the extension, then, install it with your standard user account.

@ pauliw25 & juanon: There is a linguistic.xcu file in /opt/ooo-dev3/share/uno_packages/cache/registry/com.sun.star.comp.deployment.configuration.PackageRegistryBackend/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office. Try to rename it and start again OOo.

NB: under Windows, no /opt folder. It's in the Progam files folder.
juanon

Post by juanon »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:@ pauliw25 & juanon: There is a linguistic.xcu file in /opt/ooo-dev3/share/uno_packages/cache/registry/com.sun.star.comp.deployment.configuration.PackageRegistryBackend/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office. Try to rename it and start again OOo.
Thanks, but unfortunately, all this seems to do is to remove the Thesaurus as even an option. In other words, it is greyed out in the Tools/Language drop down (and cntrl-F7 does nothing), versus being active but not being able (it would seem) to find/access the appropriate file before.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Then, I think that the extension has not been installed with all its files. Do you confirm that in your OOo user profile you see the dict-en.oxt extension folder with the th_en_US_v2.dat and th_en_US_v2.idx files?
juanon

Post by juanon »

I believe so.
Clipboard01.png