Calligraphic mathematical symbols

Post by erasmus »

Hi all.

Here is my question:

How do you translate the following equation from latex into openoffice math:

\begin{equation*}
\mathcal{S}=\mathcal{P}(\mathcal{F})
\end{equation*}

Just to give an idea of the semantics (probably not relevant). Here, calligraphic P is the set of parts of a set (all subsets of a given set), while caligraphic S and F are two sets of abstract entities in a certain context.

I guess in the current version of OpenOffice I have to define some symbol for \mathcal{P}, \mathcal{S} and \mathcal{F}. The problem is: I cannot find any font that resembles the ones in latex (which look quite nice). Furthermore, I'd like it to be a portable font that is found on any system, so I could take my impress presentation on a Mac, Windows or Linux machine and still be able to present. I could of course just cut out the formula from latex, but I would very much like a nice clean solution.

Thanks in advance,
Stefan.
Hagar Delest

Re: Calligraphic mathematical symbols

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi,

Perhaps you should upload here a screenshot showing how the symbols look like so that users can compare with something they know (see here: How to attach a document here).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
jdpipe

Post by jdpipe »

There are some specific calligraphic chars available via 're' and 'im' but these are obviously limited. You really want a way to access a whole new font here, I am guessing.
OOo 3.1.1 on Mac OS X 10.5, OOo 3.0.1 on Ubuntu 9.04
jdpipe

Post by jdpipe »

Perhaps the trick is to substitute the 'fixed' font (open math editor, Format --> Fonts) with 'URW Chancery' or some other suitable calligraphic font on your system. Then you can type calligraphic symbols using for example

{font fixed {A}} = {5 + x} over {font fixed P}

to get the result shown attached. Note that this will not work if you *also* need access to fixed-width fonts in the same equation.
Attachments
Calligraphic font in place of 'fixed' font.
Calligraphic font in place of 'fixed' font.
calli.png (3.18 KiB) Viewed 41966 times
OOo 3.1.1 on Mac OS X 10.5, OOo 3.0.1 on Ubuntu 9.04
acknak

Post by acknak »

Or, using Tools > Catalog, you can define symbols that use a specific font, so you still have all of Math's text categories available.

The LaTeX math fonts are available in TrueType format: if you have those installed, you can produce the same calligraphic glyphs you see in LaTeX.

In a formula, it would look something like this:
mcal.png
mcal.png (2.23 KiB) Viewed 41950 times
This approach works if you only need a limited number of calligraphic symbols; jdpipe's suggestion is better if you need a whole alphabet.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
sunne

Post by sunne »

Maybe the bakoma font package can be useful. It contains truetype and opentype versions of the computer modern fonts used by latex, and
is available at http://www.ctan.org/get/fonts/cm/ps-type1/bakoma.zip
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
JJ_Dunbar

Post by JJ_Dunbar »

See this thread about manually adding characters to the symbol list via their Unicode value: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 12&t=16119
OOo 3.0.X on Ubuntu 8.x + Ubuntu (Latest Stable)
Dave

Post by Dave »

For Windows users, freeware Formulator 3.8 emulates MathType in some capabilities, one of which is to select the font required from any installed on the machine. I found that exporting in .emf format, that type of image was of good quality in Writer.

Actually, as I've mentioned another time, MathType keeps on running past its 30 day limitation, for free as the Lite version, the same as is available embedded in Word and WordPerfect.

David.