[Solved] Calc keeps automatically changing my word

Discuss the spreadsheet application
rocketman_66

[Solved] Calc keeps automatically changing my word

Post by rocketman_66 »

If I type a word into a Calc cell with all lowercase letters, then type the same word into another cell but I want it to start with a capital letter, Calc automatically replaces the Capital letter with a lowercase letter. Data validity is set to "All" and I removed all formatting for that cell. I guess Calc is so smart that it remembered the first all lowercase word in its selection list and it is certain that I want a word from the "selection list" so it keeps "correcting" me. How can I keep Calc from "correcting" me so I can type the word with a capital letter?
Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope you can help.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
rocketman_66

Re: Calc keeps automatically changing my word

Post by rocketman_66 »

I think I found my answer after some more searching through the Calc options. Tools > Cell Contents > turn Autoinput off. I guess I am still used to that other spreadsheet program.
Nikos

Re: [Solved] Calc keeps automatically changing my word

Post by Nikos »

Thanx for posting the solution...had the same problem.
LibreOffice 4.0.5 on OpenSuse 12.3/64bit/KDE4.10 (Version from the TDF page) + LibreOffice 4.1.1 on Debian Wheezy/64bit/KDE4.8 + LibreOffice 4.1.1 on Win7/64bit
huw
Volunteer

Post by huw »

If, like me, you like to work with AutoInput on, but have the occasional need to enter a repeated word with different capitalisation in a column you can type it in a different column and then copy and paste it over. AutoInput doesn't operate on clipboard data.

There's a bunch of related issues:
Cannot enter case-varying 2 letter "words" in column
AutoInput does not honour reproduce case of previous entry
Can not edit contents capitalization when AutoInput is on
AutoInput: Capital letter attribute not copied when AutoSpellCheck is on
RonIA
Volunteer

Post by RonIA »

You should also be able to put it in a macro (or record it even) to turn on or off AutoInput. Then you could assign it a keyboard shortcut or put it in one of your menus.
Ron from Iowa, USA
huw
Volunteer

Post by huw »

You don't even need a macro. Under Tools > Customise... Keyboard choose Options in Category, and AutoInput in Function, select your shortcut of choice in the list above, and press Modify.
RonIA
Volunteer

Post by RonIA »

Thanks. Forgot this on/off behavior was a menu item therefore just had to be added to a menu / toolbar / keyboard shortcut.
Ron from Iowa, USA