Need help, edited XML, still cannot open file

Discuss the presentation application
Azm

Need help, edited XML, still cannot open file

Post by Azm »

Hi. I had a problem yesterday after saving my Impress file. When I reopened the file, it could not be opened, citing format error discovered at row, column. I did a search and found help in this forum which I tried. I am using Ubuntu 14.04 and LibreOffice btw. I unzipped and tried editing the XML at column mentioned. Saved it and zipped back using command lines in ubuntu. When I open back the file, it said General input output error. And a google search on that didnt help as well. So I performed the same thing on non-problem file, unzip, no editing the XML, zip back and reopened. Surprisingly, I got same error. So it's not XML editing problem but something else. I might have errored in the XML editing but in second case, I did not edit the XML at all. I then updated the apt to get updated software but still same errors. Lastly, my backup file dated 2 weeks ago was decided to be used. Unfortunately, after saving that file itself gave format error discovered again. So I have no more backup other than here. Hopefully someone within same time zone or not sleeping yet could help me on this. It's urgent. Required for me to present in 3 hours. Please help me fix the file. Help me to keep confidentiality by deleting the fixed attachments after solved as well.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 ubuntu
Azm

Re: Need help, edited XML, still cannot open file

Post by Azm »

Hi. I was not able to attach the file as it was 11Mb. If there is a way for someone who is willing to help me on this, I could email him/her personally.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 ubuntu
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

I cannot help with the actual problem but you can upload the file to a file sharing server such as Mediafire or Dropbox and post the link here.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Azm

Post by Azm »

Thanks. But it is all past due already now. I had to present old file yet... survived.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 ubuntu
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

To be helpful: you should _always_ work in .odt format, whether using OpenOffice or LibreOffice. If you must, when the project is completed, you can then save to another format, but should that fail, you can revert to the .odt file. Also, all recent versions of MS Office claim to support .odt (and related) formats. If the files do not display properly in MS Office complain to MS, who only support a bastard version of the .odt and related formats.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS