[Solved+Issue] 'Live' Word Counter?

Discuss the word processor
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: [Solved+Issue] 'Live' Word Counter?

Post by Villeroy »

Then write something that fits your needs.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
winterleaf

Post by winterleaf »

What do you mean? I thought I'd already described pretty clearly what I was looking for.
I'm not a developer, I can't design what I am looking for myself. I only wanted to know if such an extension existed, but it looks like it doesn't.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on MacOS 10.12.1 - 64 bit
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Break your file into two at the insertion point; do your writing at the end of file 1 and the statusbar wordcounter will give you the count from start of file 1 to the current insertion point, which is what you want. When finished, place cursor at end of file 1 and /insert /File <file2>
 Edit: You could automatically combine the two files using the Master Document process. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
winterleaf

Post by winterleaf »

Oh, I see. OK... but that's not very convenient to a writer who is in the process of re-editing their novel.
I think I'll just use a different word processor in the meantime. Thanks anyway.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I am able to edit/format my works without needing a wordcount from the beginning to the current editing point. Are you needing this to keep track of page breaks? If so, there are better ways to manage these in Writer.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
winterleaf

Post by winterleaf »

No, that's not it. Never mind the reason. It's just something I need to be able to do and I can't do it in OO so I'll move on for now.