Adding multiple foreign words to standard.dic

Discuss the word processor
deguza

Adding multiple foreign words to standard.dic

Post by deguza »

Hello all:

I added multiple words, some in foreign languages, to standard.dic in the c:\...\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\wordbook directory. Before adding I sorted them with the OO Spreadsheet.

I use this dictionary in Writer in writing news which contains many foreign names.

It does not seem to work.

I think the dictionary is dependent on the sort order, and the way it is sorted, especially with foreign language words, seems to be different than that of the OO Spreadsheet.

How do I resolve this issue?

Thanks,

Deguza
OpenOffice 4.1.3 Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Adding multiple foreign words to standard.dic

Post by John_Ha »

On Windows 7, the AOO add-on dictionary is C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\wordbook\standard.dic. Add some words to yours, including some upper case and some lower case words, and see what the file looks like. Mine is structured as below, with a blank line after the ---, sorted alphabetically, where all words beginning with capitals appear before all words beginning with lower case. I can edit it with Notepad.
 Edit: Note: Throughout the list of words, capital letters in the words sort before lower case letters in the words - see MAUNDY is before Macular and Maundy is after Macular; and NSCL is before Nailsam. So, my list includes
Lloyds
MAUNDY
Macular
Magnart
Maundy
NSCL
Nailsam
Nempobor 

Code: Select all

OOoUserDict1
lang: <none>
type: positive
---

Ashkenazi
Barbirolli
Zaragoza
ashkenazi
barbirolli
zaragoza
What you are doing is unsupported which means there are no documented solutions to any problems which may arise - which paraphrases as caveat alter-er. The supported way is, when spellchecking, to click the Add button to add the word to whichever additional dictionary you choose. Enable dictionaries by Tools > Options > Language settings > Writing Aids ...

Search with dictionary for other posts - for example Use only custom dictionaries? and [Solved] Can dictionary get too big?

If this solves the problem, please click the Edit button on your original post and add [Solved] in front of your subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.