[Solved] Downloading templates problem

Using them, Making them, Finding them
qm31

[Solved] Downloading templates problem

Post by qm31 »

I wanted to download a family tree template but have failed.

I tried downloading through the templates pages and selected Family Tree template, which took me to Source Forge and a downloaded .zip file but there was no .oxt file only an .htm. I followed a YouTube to download templates and saved a file download.htm, I changed the extension to .oxt and it ended up in my Extension Manager and did not work so I tried to remove it but it will not delete.

My first problem is how do I get rid of this in Extension Manager?

My second question is how can I download a family tree template successfully?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John
Last edited by qm31 on Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Downloading templates problem

Post by Villeroy »

Either Microsoft browsers are broken or they sabotage non-Microsoft documents. My Firefox browser downloads a file family_tree_template.ots. MS Internet Explorer renames it to a .zip file (which it is in a technical sense). I'm sure that they would not do the same nonsense with docx or xlsx files which are zip files too (in a technical sense).
Rename your downloaded .zip back to .ots and everything should be fine.
You can also open the zip file with your office suite. It detects that it is a perfectly valid zip representing a spreadsheet template.#
Then call menu:File>Templates>Save... which will import the template to the templates collection (menu:File>New>From Template...)
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
qm31

Post by qm31 »

Hello Villeroy

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Brilliant! It worked perfectly first time so thanks for that. Now I have the template I will research others to see if there is anything better.

Now my only problem is how to get rid of what is in Extension Manager.

Thanks again you really have helped.

John
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

qm31 wrote:Now my only problem is how to get rid of what is in Extension Manager.
Re-run the installer and deselect what you don't want.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
qm31

Post by qm31 »

Hello Villeroy Again

I don't understand what the installer is but assume this to be Extension Manager. If I run Extension Manager it highlights 'download.oxt' and shows a remove button. Clicking the remove button gives a drop down that says it is about to remove the extension but when I click OK nothing happens and the extension stays. I have tried shutting down OO then reopening but the extension is still there. :-(

John
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The program you download in order to install the office suite. If the program detects that the very same version is already installed, you get some offers to repair or modify the current installation.
qm31

Post by qm31 »

Greetings Once Again Villeroy

Thanks for the latest help - I used both 'modified' and 'repair' but to no avail!

So I searched my PC with file explorer and deleted the file when I found it and this solved my problem.

Thanks for all your help, I have really learned a lot more about OO, which I love (I have now put several people on it).

John