[Solved] "can't find spell checker"

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
sciman

[Solved] "can't find spell checker"

Post by sciman »

I've installed Oob3 on a MacPowerPc. It seems to work. But when I load a PowerPoint file (office 2004.. no audio or transitions), the program gets into a loop of error messages saying that it can't connect with the spell checker? Any tips would be much appreciated.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
OOo 3.0.X on Mac OSx Leopard
Hagar Delest

Re: "can't find spell checker"

Post by Hagar Delest »

I think this is a problem with your OS wand the Mac spell checker service. If OOo doesn't find the spell checking files, it just underlines the words in red.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
kabing
Volunteer

Post by kabing »

Do you by any chance have Cocoaspell or Spell Catcher installed on your Mac?

These two third party programs can provoke that error dialog in NeoOffice (an independent Mac port/fork of OpenOffice.org). You can find more info about this problem in NeoOffice in this article in the Neowiki.

Note that I don't know if any of this applies to OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta or not. Does anyone know if 3.0 for Mac uses the Mac spellcheckers? It was when NeoOffice shifted to using the Mac spellcheck dictionaries that these errors began appearing in NeoOffice.

kabing
NeoOffice (app store version) OpenOffice.org 4.1 and LibreOffice 4.3 on Mac OS X El Capitan
OpenOffice.org 4.1.2 on Windows 10 (Previously on Vista)
sciman

Post by sciman »

Thanks so very much. You folks know what you're doing and are very helpful. In fact I had run a program in the Tiger days which left a service items through the leopard transition, although Spell Catcher had long been deleted from the system. The advisory at NeoOffice was 100% relevant. Following their careful and judicious recommendation to go find and move the offender at Library/services/.. Spell Catcher, with a restart there was no such error loop tying things up. Now.. on to other problems and curiosities;-) The help is much appreciated.
OOo 3.0.X on Mac OSx Leopard
kabing
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] "can't find spell checker"

Post by kabing »

I'm glad it worked!

kabing
NeoOffice (app store version) OpenOffice.org 4.1 and LibreOffice 4.3 on Mac OS X El Capitan
OpenOffice.org 4.1.2 on Windows 10 (Previously on Vista)