Adding notes to Impress Presentation

Discuss the presentation application
bsanderl

Adding notes to Impress Presentation

Post by bsanderl »

Hi, Is it possible to write notes on an Impress slide and have a small frame of the slide show up on my laptop screen, with the notes shown on that same slide on my laptop's screen? Then show the presentation on my laptop and a second monitor. Showing these two screens on Widows 10 is called "Duplicate", with the slide on my laptop repeated on the second monitor. These are the same slides except the slide on my laptop has the notes on it that can't be seen on the other monitor. The slide on my laptop has a smaller screen on it that has a smaller version of what's on the second screen's monitor. The slide on the laptop has the notes on it along with the small screen of the actual slide.

This can be done in Power Point. Can I create the above in Power Point then copy it to Impress and have the above work?
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Adding notes to Impress Presentation

Post by RoryOF »

This is effectively Presenter Mode on OpenOffice Impress. This will not show until you have an external screen or projector plugged into your laptop. You can use almost any computer screen to do this. Whether a presentation in Powerpoint will do this on Impress I cannot say - I always prepare on Impress and present from my laptop using Impress.

There may need to be some setup adjustments made in Impress - when you have an external screen connected, ask again.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
bsanderl

Post by bsanderl »

RoryOF wrote:This is effectively Presenter Mode on OpenOffice Impress. This will not show until you have an external screen or projector plugged into your laptop. You can use almost any computer screen to do this. Whether a presentation in Powerpoint will do this on Impress I cannot say - I always prepare on Impress and present from my laptop using Impress.

There may need to be some setup adjustments made in Impress - when you have an external screen connected, ask again.
"I found the following instruction when I googled how do I find Presenter Mode."

… and at the bottom of the dialog, under Multiple Displays, choose the correct display for the slideshow to appear on.

I do have my laptop and monitor both showing now. How do I find presenter mode? And, In "Slide Show Settings" how do I get the "Multiple displays" box to be active. Now it's grayed out so I can't select a "presentation display"
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It is a long time since I set up Windows on a laptop so I may not remember correctly: I think, outside of OO, probably before you start it, you right click on blank desktop and select Properties, settings, check "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor". Someone with more recent Windows experience might have more specific information.

Then, in OO Impress Multiple displays should become available. When Multiple display becomes available, Presenter mode will show up on one monitor.

My recommendation is that you should note the settings and stick them on a label on your laptop - don't rely on remembering; rehearse the setup until you are sure of it - it can be embarrassing to be fiddling around in front of an audience.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS