Writer - input from screen with stylus

Discuss the word processor
gringo7

Writer - input from screen with stylus

Post by gringo7 »

I have a surface pro and I teach driving lessons. I need to have students sign the screen with the stylus and have it recorded. I do not need digital signatures from Adobe and other third parties. I am dealing with students who just have to run the stylus (pen) over a panel. Can this be done.

PS. I do it all the time with deliveries when I sign the device with a stylus (pen)

regards
Open Office 4 with Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Writer - input from screen with stylus

Post by John_Ha »

Welcome to the forum.

I cannot think of a way to get Writer to accept anything drawn by a stylus.
 Edit: Do a test. Can you use the stylus like a mouse to create a Free-form Line using the Draw function in Writer? If so, that will do what you want. Make the Draw Toolbar visible by View > Toolbars > tick Drawing.
Clipboard02.png
Clipboard02.png (7.66 KiB) Viewed 9692 times

Otherwise, you will need to find an application which will display an image and accept something written onto the image using the stylus.

If you can, then a workaround could be to create an image of the page you want to be signed, open the image with the application and have the student sign the image in the application.

So, either use PrtScr to copy the screen (or Alt/PrtScr to copy only the active window) to the clipboard; or Export to PDF > Open the PDF with Adobe Reader > Edit > Take snapshot > select area to be copied - this copies it to the clipboard. Now paste the clipboard into an image editor > Save the image (preferably as a PNG file). Open the image with the application and get the student to "sign" the image.

An alternative (and clunky) solution could be for the student to sign the signature into an empty image, and you to insert the image of the signature into the document.

If this solves the problem, please click the Edit button on your original post and add [Solved] in front of your subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See How to Add a Signature to a Word Document - YouTube which does not tell you how to add a signature with a stylus to a Word document - it tells you how to add a signature with a stylus to a PDF file using Adobe Reader.

So
1 Export the Writer document to a PDF file
2 Add the signature to the PDF file using the stylus
3 Save the PDF with the added signature

If this solves the problem, please click the Edit button on your original post and add [Solved] in front of your subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
b9chris

Post by b9chris »

For your specific use-case, I'd just save the document as a Draw document, then open it up, hit the Free Form Line tool the above poster pointed out in the screenshot, and hand them the stylus.

That's still going to be kind of fiddly though - if there's basically any object in the area where they intend to sign, it's easy to accidentally exit to "Drag Mode" and drag that object around instead of signing. And, I'm not clear on whether you can get the default width of the pen stroke to be something reasonable; it seems to default to 0.00", which, obviously, does not exist.

I needed to sign PDFs with the same Surface Pen, so I'll document that here since this comes up in searches for that:

1) Get your document out as a PDF that OpenOffice Draw can read. In some cases, you can just take the PDF you were emailed. In other cases, either the PDF imports in a way that is total chaos, or, the document is in some other format OpenOffice can't read, but Chrome can. In either of these situations, just get Microsoft Print to PDF if you don't have it already, and open the document in Chrome. Print it, pick the Print to PDF, voila, you've got something OpenOffice can read.

2) Import the document - for that you'll need PDF Import by Oracle. Once the Extension is installed you can import by just opening OpenOffice Draw then dragging the PDF onto the Title Bar.

3) Click the Freeform Line tool like above and avoid the dragging nonsense. You'll know whether it's gonna drag stuff around by checking to see if the toolbar shows a line thickness; if it doesn't, it's about to waste your time. While you're there, set it to something reasonable like .01".

4) Sign.

5) Export to PDF. Done.
OpenOffice 4.15 / Windows 10