[Solved] Congratulations for all efforts of the past!

Request For Enhancement, User feedback candidates for wiki
FZiegler

[Solved] Congratulations for all efforts of the past!

Post by FZiegler »

Dear developers,

there may be little positive feedback, I guess. So I created an account for the forum to leave a big THANK YOU! :bravo:

The first version I used must have been something like StarOffice 4.3, the first I owned was SO 5.2, and then I shifted to OpenOffice(.org) when it introduced the XML file formats. So I am a convinced and longterm user since then and hardly ever regretted my decision.

OpenOffice gave me the possibility to mostly do what I wanted to (with writer, base, excel, impress and draw - in that historic order) in an efficient way, and the only thing I don't like is, that it tends towards imitating MS Office although it was better in many ways. I understand that it is crucial to get as many users as possible, so I acknowledge the decisions towards MS Office.

What I like most is the long term usability and stability, and I do not only keep my office files from more than 10 years ago, I also use and re-use them. And if one crashed, I nearly always could recover them by opening the zip bundle.

By that, I enjoyed the progress in LibreOffice, but didn't really need it. Although I switched to LibreOffice on some machines, I am always glad that there is OpenOffice, too. In my eyes, it is the more stable and efficient branch of the project. This year it was my fallback tool and salvation in a book project that I started with LO Writer; :roll: I first invested hours to get my pictures back to the place they belonged to when they got more and more (as others did decades before with MS Word) and then had to give up as it didn't open the file anymore without crashing. OpenOffice solved the problem. It got a nice book, by the way, for our church jubilee.

So if you get the software maintained, I will probably continue to use OpenOffice for another 20 years. And I won't switch to DTP software (Scribus) for the next book project neither as I regularly do for magazines, brochures etc.

OpenOffice is a great, great software, even if it didn't evolve much in the last years! (maybe even: because..) :super: Powerful enough for both private and standard business use.

Keep patience and persistance! :fist:

A very satisfied and content user
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Win7-64 pro / Apache OpenOffice 4.1.x / LibreOffice 5.0.x
RusselB

Re: Congratulations for all efforts of the past!

Post by RusselB »

Speaking on behalf of the volunteers/helpers on the help forum, I thank you for the feedback.
Regretfully, I feel I must inform you that the developers rarely, if ever, visit the forums (or at least, if they do we are rarely, if ever, notified of such)
If you would like to ensure that the developers see your message, I suggest sending it to the Developers Mailing List
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
FZiegler

Re: Congratulations for all efforts of the past!

Post by FZiegler »

Thank you, Russell, for your reply!

That's what I did now. Blame me for it or not.
Win7-64 pro / Apache OpenOffice 4.1.x / LibreOffice 5.0.x