Engineer47

Re: OpenOffice crashes on Mac OS Sierra

Post by Engineer47 »

OpenOffice quit unexpectedly.
Open office 4.1 on mac OS Sierra
phil.l

Post by phil.l »

Has anyone who has encountered these problems actually be able to solve them through any of the solutions listed or through any other means? Lots of similar issues but from what I have read no one seems to have been able to solve it so far!
Open Office 4.1.2 on Mac OS Siera 10.12
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

phil.l wrote:Has anyone who has encountered these problems actually be able to solve them through any of the solutions listed or through any other means? Lots of similar issues but from what I have read no one seems to have been able to solve it so far!
When I updated my computer to macOS Sierra version 10.12 Apache OpenOffice crashed every time I opened it. I reinstalled the legacy Java 6, which the update to Sierra had removed from my computer, which cured the problem. AOO no longer crashed.

I also have Java jdk1.8.0_101 installed. I have OpenOffice/Preferences/Java set to use Java 1.8.0_101.

Note: I have the full Java JDK installed, not just the Java Runtime Environment. I do not know if that makes a difference to the functioning of Apache OpenOffice.
The JDK can be downloaded from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... 33151.html
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
Patrick Bravard

Post by Patrick Bravard »

phil.l wrote:Has anyone who has encountered these problems actually be able to solve them through any of the solutions listed or through any other means? Lots of similar issues but from what I have read no one seems to have been able to solve it so far!
Please state what type of computer and year you are using.

Thank you. Patrick
Open Office 4.1.2
Sierra 10.12
MFCoolJ

Post by MFCoolJ »

Hello Everybody,
i think it's the 5K Retina Display or Driver. On my MacBook Pro 4K the problem did not occur.

Under Settings / Monitors / colors change the color profile to Apple RGB or General RGB profile.
Then it should work, and the icons in the menu bar also look normal again.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 om Mac Sierra 10.12
MFCoolJ
phil.l

Post by phil.l »

Thanks Larry. I have now downloaded the http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... 33151.html which you listed.

When entering OpenOffice/Preferences/Java I now have two options, both called Java 1.8.0_101.

One is Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jidk1.8.0_101.jdk/contents/Home/JRE

The other is the Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home.

I have clicked the JRE one and unfortunately the crashing when clicking the mouse in saved docs and crashing when opening from Applications or the Doc still happens. Do you think it would be worth deleting the Internet Plug In version? Is that likely to make any difference?

When you enter Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines from Finder do you have both 1.6.0.jdk and jdk1.8.0_101.jdk listed? As that is what I now have.

Patrick, I answered you last time you asked - I'm on MacBook Pro Late 2015. OS Sierra 10.12. Thanks
phil.l

Post by phil.l »

MFCOOLJ You are my hero! Went to Settings, Displays, Colour and Clicked Generic RGB Profile. All now seems to be back working fine. No crash when using the mouse or when opening from the Dock or Applications. Buttons on display are back to normal as well.

Really appreciate everyones help! Thank You
 Edit: MFCoolJ's posting is at viewtopic.php?f=17&t=85216&p=398844#p398844 [RoryOF, Moderator] 
Engineer47

Post by Engineer47 »

Agree with the MFCOOLJ fix. Instantly fixed my problem also. thank you. This is not to say that the reinstallation/update of the Java programs are not required: they are. So thanks to Larry as well.
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

phil.l wrote:Thanks Larry. I have now downloaded the http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... 33151.html which you listed.

When entering OpenOffice/Preferences/Java I now have two options, both called Java 1.8.0_101.

One is Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jidk1.8.0_101.jdk/contents/Home/JRE

The other is the Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home.

I have clicked the JRE one and unfortunately the crashing when clicking the mouse in saved docs and crashing when opening from Applications or the Doc still happens. Do you think it would be worth deleting the Internet Plug In version? Is that likely to make any difference?
I am using Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jidk1.8.0_101.jdk/contents/Home/JRE. I just did a quick check and the Internet Plugin version also works for me. Deleting the plugin version shouldn't make any difference if you have the other one selected in AOO.
When you enter Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines from Finder do you have both 1.6.0.jdk and jdk1.8.0_101.jdk listed? As that is what I now have.
I have both.
Patrick, I answered you last time you asked - I'm on MacBook Pro Late 2015. OS Sierra 10.12. Thanks
I have a late 2013 13" MacBook Pro macOS Sierra 10.12. I haven't updated my 2015 15" MacBook Pro to Sierra since it is mission critical and am waiting until i'm sure there are no conflicts with the apps I use.

Have you reset your user profile? That is often a solution for problems with AOO.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
esox_13

Post by esox_13 »

Ok, thanks for the link. It almost solved the problem. No more crashes when opening OpenOffice or selecting text with the mouse, burt il crashed twice when exporting to pdf.
OSX Sierra Openoffice 4.1.2
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Re exporting to PDF. Is it possible that the file had not yet stabilised in layout when you invoked the Export to PDF? Depending on the complexity of the file and the computer speed, this can take several minutes.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
esox_13

Post by esox_13 »

No, it is a very simple 3 pages text, only times font. It chashes as soon as I click on the "save" button of the second dialog box of the export to pdf process. It is version 4.1.1
OSX Sierra Openoffice 4.1.2
Fyf684

Post by Fyf684 »

I will be rolling back to El Capitan, since that did work.
I cannot work with broken graphics in my documents.

Please post your feedback to Apple, so maybe they get an impression of how many people are affected by this:
http://www.apple.com/feedback/
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on MacOS Sierra
OwenSchaefer

Post by OwenSchaefer »

Having the same problem here. OpenOffice has worked perfectly for me for many years. My old 27" iMac running Yosemite died last week, and was replaced with a newer model, running Sierra. Now OpenOffice crashes constantly, at seemingly random times. Often when using track changes and comments, but sometimes just editing. I tried installing the legacy Java runtime, but as others have said, now the icons in the toolbar are corrupted. I haven't had a crash yet, but I'm frankly not interested in using it long enough to find out. I need it daily, and I don't have time to recover files and make edits over and over again because they've been lost.

If Java Runtime has been removed by Apple, is there any chance that OpenOffice people are working on a solution that doesn't require the installation of the legacy runtime? Wouldn't that make more sense?
OOo 2.3.X on Mac OSx Leopard
Repco

Post by Repco »

Owen
I have tried all of the above 'fixes' but nothing works, I just sent feedback to apple..
macOS Sierra Version 10.12 , iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015 - OpenOffice 4.1.2
Patrick Bravard

MFCoolJ wrote:Hello Everybody,
i think it's the 5K Retina Display or Driver. On my MacBook Pro 4K the problem did not occur.

Under Settings / Monitors / colors change the color profile to Apple RGB or General RGB profile.
Then it should work, and the icons in the menu bar also look normal again.
Do you mean System Preferences / Displays / Color ?

I can't find a Settings / Monitor / Colors ... anywhere !

Cheers, Patrick
Open Office 4.1.2
Sierra 10.12
Ewing

Post by Ewing »

I use an iMac 27" 5K Retina Display. Now i changed my Display Color Profile...and all problems are solved.
Choose "General RGB-Profile"
Attachments
RGB_Profile.jpg
Open Office 4.1.2 on iMac 5K
Engineer47

Post by Engineer47 »

Patrick: click the apple logo in top left corner of your screen. Then click "System Preferences". Then click "Displays". Then click "colours" in the popup. Select "Generic RGB". Now go back and try AOO. In other words, you were right with your first guess.
Patrick Bravard

Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 08.23.57 2.jpg
Hello Engineer47,

I tried your trick.... But not working for me... I still don't understand how to make this selection stick!

Maybe can you help me further with that.

Best regards,

Patrick
Open Office 4.1.2
Sierra 10.12
Repco

Post by Repco »

Patrick
if you click on the apple in the top left, select about this mac, click on the displays tab, then bottom right display preferences, select color, then generic RGB, this will fix the crashing of AOO but the menus are still fuzzy. My mac air was also upgraded to Sierra and there are no issues with AOO..
just need to fix the fuzzy menus..

Pete
macOS Sierra Version 10.12 , iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015 - OpenOffice 4.1.2
Patrick Bravard

Hi Repco,

Selecting generic RGB does NOTHING on a 5K display because it is incompatible with it... If you tick Show Profiles for this Display Only you will see that only one profile appears.
If you attempt to encapsulate the Generic RGB in a "User Profile" you will see that it is rejected with an error at the end of the process... I'm not sure how several people achieve satisfaction with this manoeuvre...

I may be missing something and I look forward to stand corrected.

Cheers,

Patrick
Open Office 4.1.2
Sierra 10.12
dylan51

Post by dylan51 »

Repco wrote:Patrick
if you click on the apple in the top left, select about this mac, click on the displays tab, then bottom right display preferences, select color, then generic RGB, this will fix the crashing of AOO but the menus are still fuzzy. My mac air was also upgraded to Sierra and there are no issues with AOO..
just need to fix the fuzzy menus..

Pete
Thank you very much. this way OO works on my iMac. Hope there are no more bugs. :bravo: :bravo:
Open Office 4.1.2 on macOS Sierra
Repco

Post by Repco »

Patrick
I had the same issues as you are seeing.. the only thing different was I installed the suggested full Java (plus 1.8 & old 1.6) from the link above.
Is you mac the same as mine, iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, late 2015, Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M380 2048 MB?

Pete
Repco

Post by Repco »

Patrick
in case the Java stuff is confusing I used this link: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... 33151.html

Pete
Repco

Post by Repco »

Patrick, try selecting calibrate instead of open profile, and use auto calibrate and save the profile as another name like Generic - Pat

Pete
Patrick Bravard

Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 14.19.53.jpg
Hi Pete,

I'm starting to think I am jinxed... None of your suggestions work, see screen capture...

Any other idea?

Cheers, Patrick
Open Office 4.1.2
Sierra 10.12
Repco

Post by Repco »

Patrick
do you have the exact same machine as me? In the initial display page make sure the resolution is set to "default for display"
OK I think I can fix your issues as I just ran the color sync utility found in the applications/utilities folder, run this (verify) then if there are errors use the repair button, when I did this all my AOO menus returned to normal :)

Pete
Patrick Bravard

Hi Pete,
Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 16.00.55.jpg
Same machine as yours....

Default for display ticked

I ran the Color Utility app and here is the result...
Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 16.00.55.jpg
Tried Repair, same result...

Still no joy with OO... Thank you for your assistance until now.!

Cheers, Patrick
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 15.59.37.jpg
Open Office 4.1.2
Sierra 10.12
adafflon

Post by adafflon »

I found a solution on another forum:
Seems to be a Retina 5K Display problem. Please change:
>>> Preferences >>> Display >>> Color >>> Choose Apple RGB or ColorMatch RGB.
Then it's working, for me at least...
MacOS Sierra 10.12 + OpenOffice 4.1.2
Repco

Post by Repco »

Patrick
it looks as if your graphics driver is corrupt for some reason, if you post the results of the color utility to apple they may be able to suggest a fix, sorry I can't help, mine came up with similar errors but the repair worked.
Maybe try a reboot then make sure all java based programs are closed such as safari etc then try the verify and repair..
Let me know how you go!

Pete