Corrupted file

Discuss the word processor
umbrulla

Corrupted file

Post by umbrulla »

Hi the other day i saved an odt file, and today it seems i am unable to open it, i can only open a read only version full of pound symbols #, i have no backups in my backup folder, and the only .tmp file i have in my appdata has the same problem. I am unable to create a .zip of any of the files as i am uncertain how to do so, i am currently running recuva but it doesn't seem to have found anything i don't have already have...

i know its a loosing battle, but I was wondering if there's anything i can do?
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 7
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Corrupted file

Post by Zizi64 »

Do you have some manually saved backups of that file (timestamped backups)?

Never save directly your important files onto removable media, and always make more than one backups (with timestamped filenames) while you edit an important document.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
umbrulla

Post by umbrulla »

Yeah ive certainly learned my lesson.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 7
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Unfortunately, all ###### means the .odt was not properly saved as a .odt file - it is actually a flat ASCII file which can be opened with Notepad ... and which has nothing in it.

See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete Writer temporary files for help to un-delete the temporary files which Writer wrote while you were editing the document, and then deleted when Writer was closed.

With luck you will get back the file as it was when you opened it or, if you are using AutoRecovery, at the last time it was AutoSaved.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.