Multiple, but different line spacings on one slide

Discuss the presentation application
w2tq

Multiple, but different line spacings on one slide

Post by w2tq »

Although I did this many times in the past, I am having difficulty inserting a different or new line spacing interval within a slide. Please note that I have searched for a solution and consulted various reference materials, including discussions of styles and paragraph dialogs, but I remain stumped.

As one example, the slide begins with a spacing of 1.5 lines for the title and space following it, but then I wish to change the spacing for the remainder of the slide to single spacing. Some of the text may span more than a single line.

Thanks.
LibreOffice version 5.1.3.2
openSuSE Leap 42.1
RoryOF

Re: Multiple, but different line spacings on one slide

Post by RoryOF »

Select the lines in question, then choose /Format /Paragraph; alter the settings on Indents and Spacing tab.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Post by acknak »

The line spacing only applies when the paragraph text wraps to span more than one line.

The space between paragraphs is managed through the "space above/below" paragraph settings.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
w2tq

Post by w2tq »

Thank you both for your replies. I had been in the paragraph/indents & spacing dialog, but was unable to achieve the result I wanted. With regard to inter-paragraph spacing, I was using the return function to generate a blank line; perhaps that's part of the problem. I.e., my approach may not what the developers intended.

Creating a test document, I was able to fashion a method for shifting from one line spacing setting to another. It appears that if you initiate the paragraph/indents & spacing dialog on the line following the space you wish to create, that works. Thus, for the first line, e.g., the slide title, the line spacing is set to 1. If the desired spacing between the title and the next or second line is 1.5 lines, move the cursor onto the second or next line, and enter a spacing of 1.5. To revert to a spacing of 1, I would repeat the process on the subsequent line. In view of the setting for spacing above and below the paragraph, this may not be what was intended.
LibreOffice version 5.1.3.2
openSuSE Leap 42.1
acknak

Post by acknak »

w2tq wrote:... Thus, for the first line, e.g., the slide title, ...
I'm not sure I follow what you're doing. Be aware that, if you're using one of the built-in slide layouts, the slide title is completely disconnected from the body content. As far as I know, the only way to change the spacing between the title and the body content is to move the title text area.

I would not try to jam both the slide title and the body content into the same layout area.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A file of one sample slide uploaded would be helpful.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS