Text Import issues with Excel doc

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
markgradley

Text Import issues with Excel doc

Post by markgradley »

Hi all

Absolute beginner here, trying to solve an issue which I know seems a common occurrence

Trying to open an excel document saved as Excel 97-2003 extension in Openoffice. I am unable to access the file as it comes up with a large window saying Text Import or on other occasions it says ASCII. Tried looking in other topics, but can't seem to find the relevant simple answer.

Any help would be gratefully received

Many thanks

Mark
Openoffice 4.1.2 on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Text Import issues with Excel doc

Post by Zizi64 »

Trying to open an excel document saved as Excel 97-2003 extension in Openoffice. I am unable to access the file as it comes up with a large window saying Text Import or on other occasions it says ASCII.
In this case maybe
- the file is damaged
- the file is not really a MS .xls type file, but it is .CSV, .TSV, .RTF or .TXT type file with false file extension.

Can you upload the file here?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
markgradley

Post by markgradley »

Thanks for the reply

Its a .xls file extension, not sure how to upload on here and am a little concerned about confidentiality
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

am a little concerned about confidentiality
Then you can try to rename a copy of your file to the described extensions, and then you can try it with a file viewer software (like the Notepad). If it will display az a structured, pure txt file (you can see the data values), then the file is CSV, TSV or TXT type one. If you see some header related to the RTF type, then the file is rtf type one.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try opening it with a plain text editor. If you can see normal text, then it is internally one of the file types Zizi64 suggested. If OO is announcing that it needs an ASCII filter and it is not plain text internally, then the file is damaged and you should obtain another copy.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
markgradley

Post by markgradley »

Hi gents

Appreciate your continued help. I tried to open in Notepad and there was no data at all to see. It does announce that it needs an ASCII filter sometimes. How can I obtain another copy?

I really am not the technical type, so finding this a little challenging. Am I am to send the file to someone.... I guess the data I have there is emails and names etc, nothing of great concern, but obviously concerned

Continued thanks