[Solved] Your registering process

Let us know how we are doing -
adsouza

[Solved] Your registering process

Post by adsouza »

I had to attempt to reactivate my old registered name. No such luck. I tried to re-register it. Name/email address in use. Finally, registered under a different entire setup and here I am. This is not a CIA or NSA website. You do not need the convoluted security! Lighten up. Keep it simple, stupid!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: Your registering process

Post by Hagar Delest »

There is an email mentioned in the registering page to contact the administrators. A mere mail asking for the lost username would have settled this.
But I've to admit that the "stupid" word in your message is quite irksome. We have seen better second starts.

NB: I tag the topic as solved, I don't think it deserves more attention.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
spinach

Re: [Solved] Your registering process

Post by spinach »

I too am having problems getting into OpenOffice, I will be nice about it, but PHEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW it is easier getting into a state penitentiary than just asking for help. And I clicked on that ADMIN link your talking about, and didn't go to any ADMIN. Anyone I just want to know how I get back either one of my usernames, that I have been using on the internet since like 1995. they say they are both being used here on this site, and both of my emails which they say are both being used here too when I tried to sign up. to solve a lot of problems and make things easier when people ask for forgot my password, just ask them for the email address and not the username too send them a link to change it. there is no need to ask for that username. And I tried every combination of email and username to get a new password and nothing works.so can an administrator please send me an email so that I can explain what emails and usernames I seem to be having a problem with. thank you. please don't think I am being nasty to your site because I prefer your program over the others. again thank you, going to get a YUENGLING
OpenOffice 4.1.2 Windows 8.1 x64
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

There is a link to an email address for the board administrator on the registration page - that address is aoo.forum.en at gmail dot com.

I suggest you send a message with details of your usernames etc to that address.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

@adsouza/spinach: Sorry that you have had a bad experience. The mods and admins here are (as far as I know) volunteers like most of us, and have their day jobs to take care of. Malfunctions in web site links and mail service do occur on every site, given time, and sometimes they may take longer than desirable to fix. I have not experienced such prolonged malfunctions, but your experience may be caused by something like that.

The security measures around here are not much stricter than average for various user forums around the web. We would have more spam if they were made looser. In order to improve the quality of the service and lessen the workload on the mods/admins, I believe it must be so. If they were to change the way the forum server software works (e.g.when asking for username for password recovery), it might break the automated updates for that software, which would also introduce security issues.

If you have constructive comments, like suggesting alternative solutions and perhaps offering your services instead of just complaining about how bad the current situation is, I am sure the admins are interested.

@Hagar: The "stupid" in adsouza's post is part of a set expression. That expression was written in full in the post, but is frequently abbreviated KISS. While the "S" word in itself is normally offending, the KISS usage is a humorous and friendly hint. I can't see that it should be taken as a derogatory remark.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
taylor1277

Post by taylor1277 »

Well, I don't agree with you on that one, the security measures are WAYYYYY stricter than they are on ANY website. But it isn't my website and that is fine. And if that is the way they want it, then I will go with it. Just to let you know, though, I found any email address to someone/anyone and literally truly hardcore begged them to forward my email to someone so that I could access my account. That is how hard it was to get a password. I got a temp password and now I am going to figure out where in my account info I can change it to something that I use more often, I can change it, right? When you forget a password, I entered my username and email, and after about 12 times different days, I never received an email to reset it. Well sure I would love to add a solution, when someone puts in username and email address, just simply for a password reset, send them a reset password that last a few hrs and have them reset a new one under their profile. Let the technology do the work for you. And I don't know who helped me, but I do thank all of you for getting me back in. That means all the administrators.
Openoffice 4.1.0 on Windows Vista
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

taylor1277 wrote:I got a temp password and now I am going to figure out where in my account info I can change it to something that I use more often, I can change it, right?
At top left of Forum screen click on "User control panel". Select "Profile" tab. Select "Edit account settings" from the left-hand bar and you get a screen whereon you can change your password.
 Edit: Be aware that passwords are case sensitive. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

OK, thanks for the hint about the KISS.

I admit that the username + mail is a bit too tiresome. There are some possibilities for that (it is a long feature request in phpBB it seems): I forgot - Send Username and Password with a mod and Recover username/password with email only with a configuration file tweak.

But we need a system admin for that.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
taylor1277

Post by taylor1277 »

Okay yes I know passwords are case sensitive. I use 50 different passwords and I just counted I have 31 pages 5x7" pages front and back with websites, and never had a harder problem getting into than this one. That problem is remedied. Now the username and email as someone mentioned as being tiresome, is in fact not so tiresome, it is that when you go to "forgot password" you would think a computer generated password would be sent, you have to use that password with in such a time, and then you would have to change that password to something you want in a certain amount of time. The tiresome thing was so simple as to asking someone to send me a temp password about 2 dozen times over a few days.So now that we can lay that to rest I can go ask the question I came here for.
Openoffice 4.1.0 on Windows Vista