Type accented letters in Spanish words

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Jeremy_H

Type accented letters in Spanish words

Post by Jeremy_H »

At the moment I often need to type Spanish words in amongst English text. If I have to type a word with an accent (e.g. autobús) I have to go to Insert, Special Character and find the character, click on it, then close the menu option and carry on with the rest of the word, which takes ages. Normally elsewhere in OSX if you hold down a key it displays all the alternative characters under that key and you can pick one quite quickly, but in Open Office holding down the key simply repeats it (e.g. autobuuuuuuuuuuu).
Is there a way of disabling key repeat in Open Office and reverting to the standard OSX function? Or is there another quick way to type special characters within Open Office?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Open Office 4.1.2 for Mac on OSX El Capitan
RoryOF

Re: Spanish alphabet

Post by RoryOF »

I cannot answer for a Mac, but on Xubuntu using OO writer, pressing Shift Alt-Gr then a' gives á. Press Shift Alt-Gr (release it) then two chars such as a letter and then the modifier key - try o then ", or e then '.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

I also don't know about the specific Mac problem. I use the extension Compose Special Character for inserting accented characters in Spanish. I type e' and then press a special key combination ( ALT + Z in my case but you can choose what you like) and it becomes é.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Jeremy_H wrote: Or is there another quick way to type special characters within Open Office?
[Solved] Special characters insertion (for French and Spanish) (using Mac OS X)

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).