[Solved] Move Row

Discuss the spreadsheet application
KitchM

[Solved] Move Row

Post by KitchM »

How does one select, drag and insert a row in Calc?

Thanks.
Last edited by KitchM on Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Move Row

Post by Villeroy »

Click row header or Shift+Space
Alt+Drag+Drop
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
KitchM

Post by KitchM »

I have tried selecting the row by clicking on the row header, which changes the row to all selected. If I then point to the row header and, while holding down the Alt key, try to drag, the full size window becomes "normalized" or smaller and is dragged around the screen with the mouse movement.

I am using version 4.1.2 on Xubuntu 14.04, if it makes any difference.

Or did you mean something different by Alt+Drag+Drop?

Thanks.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Due to the difficulties in getting cells to move in Calc using drag & drop, I don't even bother trying anymore as I find it easier to do this:
1) Insert an empty row/column where I want the data
2) Highlight the row/column I want moved
3) Press Ctrl+X (for Cut)
4) Place the cursor at the beginning of the empty row/column
5) Press Ctrl+v (for Paste)
6) Go back to where the data originally was (now blank) and delete the row/column
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

No, you must not grab the row header. Grab the highlighted range, drag it and drop it with the Alt key pressed.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
KitchM

Post by KitchM »

RusselB, that is what I've always had to do, but thanks for the tip.

Villeroy, it still normalizes the window and drags it around the screen, regardless of where I grab it.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

KitchM wrote:RusselB, that is what I've always had to do, but thanks for the tip.

Villeroy, it still normalizes the window and drags it around the screen, regardless of where I grab it.
First grab it without any modifier key pressed. Drag it to where you want to have it inserted. Press and hold Alt as you drop the row.
Before clicking, Alt will activate window select mode. During click and hold, Alt will activate "drop-insert" mode.

I didn't know about the Alt-drop. Thanks Villeroy, I learned something today.

@KitchM: Note that it may not work on your system. I only tested it in LibreOffice, and your OO version of 3.0.2 (according to your sig) is fairly old. The feature is probably only recently added (otherwise I think I would have known it before...), and possibly only in LO.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
KitchM

Post by KitchM »

Okay, that worked (after a fashion, but it gives weird and non-standard visual feedback). By the way, I've eliminated the old garbage from my sig. See current in post above.

Thanks.
needahammer

Re: [NOT Solved] Move Row

Post by needahammer »

Not solved, for me anyway, on OSX El Capitan 10.11.5 or .6 using OO Calc 4.1.2.

I can find NO WAY to MOVE a row or column via drag and drop in OSX they way you can in Windows XP with the same version of OO calc operating on the same file. You can overwrite or COPY, but not move.

This is quite annoying. Pretty basic functionality.

There's a bugzilla report for this from 2013. # 123699 at https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=123699.
Perhaps folks, annoyed like me, can vote for this being fixed.

Thanks!
Win Xp, & OSX 10.7 & 10.11 with OO V4.1.2
MrProgrammer

Re: [Solved] Move Row

Post by MrProgrammer »

needahammer wrote:I can find NO WAY to MOVE a row or column via drag and drop in OSX …
You could use Tools → Macros → Record, create two macros, and bind them to shortcut keys, (I use ⇑⌘X and ⇑⌘6). If you want to use the mouse you could bind them to buttons on the Insert Cells toolbar.
Cut rows to clipboard:
Select row(s)  (⇑Space)
Cut            (⌘X)
Delete rows    (⌘-)

Insert rows from clipboard:
Select row(s)  (⇑Space)
Paste          (⌘V)         \
Undo           (⌘Z)          > {Paste,Undo,Insert} shifts the rows down
Insert rows    (⌘=)         /
Paste          (⌘V)
[Tutorial] Binding a macro: Shortcut key, menu or toolbar
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
needahammer

Post by needahammer »

MRprogrammer, thanks for your time and effort, but that's just not a reasonable solution for me or other OO calc users I know.

I wish I knew how to motivate developers to first address bugs that affect basic usability, that I encounter frequently, before other program issues that I seldom or never see. Or for which a workaround such as the macro you suggest would suffice.

IMHO, the OO effort diminishes its viability as an alternative to the MS hegemony, when it allows basic stuff to be a problem. The special case issues and problems just make it hard to recommend.
My 2 cents.
Thanks again.
Win Xp, & OSX 10.7 & 10.11 with OO V4.1.2