LibreOffice won't run on Ubuntu 14.04

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
moki

LibreOffice won't run on Ubuntu 14.04

Post by moki »

I desperately need some help. I am running LibreOffice 5.1.4 on Ubuntu 14.04. All of a sudden it stopped working. Initially when I tried to open a file it would grey out and freeze. Now when I click on Calc, Writer etc nothing opens at all. I tried completely uninstalling and re-installing and it still does the same thing. Can anyone help or provide some guidelines for me?
LibreOffice 5.1.4 on Ubuntu 14.04
RoryOF

Re: LibreOffice won't run on Ubuntu 14.04

Post by RoryOF »

Try deleting or renaming the LibreOffice user profile. I haven't a linux computer using LibreOffice in front of me, only one using OpenOffice, so my remarks are based on that and you may need to adjust them. Start your file manager to look at your Home directory. Then press Ctrl H to cause it to display hidden files. There should show (in a long list of hidden files/folders) ".openoffice" below this is a folder "4" and below that "user". Right click on that and select "rename" from the popup; renaming it to (say) "user.old". Now start up Open/LibreOffice. If you have done this correctly, OO/LibO should prompt you for your name/initials.

This may fix your problem.
 Edit: Also worth starting the application in a terminal, which allows one to inspect error messages. For OO the command is "openoffice4" (no quotes) 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
moki

Post by moki »

Thanks for the response. I tried that, it did not work. When I try and run from the terminal I get some error messages as follows:

** (process:2962): WARNING **: require a newer gtk than 3.10 for theme expectations
(soffice:2962): Gdk-WARNING **: gdk_window_set_icon_list: icons too large
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Then you have to look for and install a newer gtk than 3.10 (if there is one).

You could also try Ubuntu 16.04 from a live DVD/USB, with persistence so that it remembers the later version of LibreOffice you installed on it.
 Edit: versions of gtk up to 3.20 for linux are available at
http://www.gtk.org/download/linux.php 
moki

Post by moki »

There is a later version of gtk, but I read that it does not work well with the unity desktop. What I fail to understand is that I used libreoffice yesterday and it was working and today it doesn't work. I have completely uninstalled it an reinstalled. Everything works except for calc. When I try to open a spreadsheet/excel file it greys out and freezes. At the bottom left hand corner it says "calculating". It just hangs there.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Is this for all Calc files or just for one particular Calc file?