Write spreadsheet for Star Trek movies & TV

Discuss the spreadsheet application
php111

Write spreadsheet for Star Trek movies & TV

Post by php111 »

Hey, which would be the best way to write a spreadsheet for Star Trek movies & the TV series in one spreadsheet for both and than organize in chronological order by the date?
OpenOffice 3.1
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Write spreadsheet for Star Trek movies & TV

Post by Zizi64 »

???
It is easy - or not...

Just type-in the dates and titles (and other data if you needed) into columns. The dates must be mumeric values in the cells: use the standard localised date formats at typing. Then you can use the Data Sort and/or the Filter options...

...Please give us more details about your task...
Last edited by Zizi64 on Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

The hardest part of this task, which is a portion of a task I'm in the process of, is the entry of the data.
Where are you getting your data from? I used a Wikipedia book, which was then downloaded as a Word Processing (text) file, which, in turn, I imported into Calc
Now there was a lot of extra information included, some of which I wanted but isn't mentioned in your query, so you'd have to go through the information and edit it manually removing what you don't want.

Alternatively you could follow Tibor's advice, previously given.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
php111

Post by php111 »

RusselB wrote:The hardest part of this task, which is a portion of a task I'm in the process of, is the entry of the data.
Where are you getting your data from? I used a Wikipedia book, which was then downloaded as a Word Processing (text) file, which, in turn, I imported into Calc
Now there was a lot of extra information included, some of which I wanted but isn't mentioned in your query, so you'd have to go through the information and edit it manually removing what you don't want.

Alternatively you could follow Tibor's advice, previously given.
I do not follow and do not understand what you are saying and do not know what exact information you are asking me to provide.

1.) The spreadsheet is just a simple spreadsheet but simple is still difficult for me to setup. A simple spreadsheet would be the Star Trek TV Series and movies in one spreadsheet.

2.) I was going to go to the Wikipedia page and enter the titles for the TV Series, the dates it was aired, the movies and the release dates for the movies and whatever else manually.

3.) But the question is how do I do this?
OpenOffice 3.1
php111

Post by php111 »

Bump
OpenOffice 3.1
Alex1
Volunteer

Post by Alex1 »

If you use a page like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S ... s_episodes
you can select a table, copy it, then paste special. Some rows will need some editing.
AOO 4.1.15 & LO 24.2.2 on Windows 10
php111

Post by php111 »

I see no one has replied to this thread.

First, I cannot help that I do not follow and do not understand. So, because of that than why give up replying? Just because I do not understand how to do this? What a reason.

Second, how does this look? https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxomm_ ... ef=2&pli=1
OpenOffice 3.1
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Maybe we just don't have a clue about what you want. And chances are that we just waste lots of time coming with suggestions that then turn out not to be what you want. It's up to you to tell us exactly and clearly what you want to do, so that we can then help you to get along with that. And when I say "exactly and clearly", I mean just that.
Please see Tips for a better description of the problem in the Survival Guide for the forum for more about this.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

You have had replies, and you obviously know where your data is coming from.
The fact that Wikipedia doesn't have an easy method of putting the information from their website to a spreadsheet/database is troublesome, but that's how they have it set up.
As I already said, Wikipedia has a Book Creator, which can be used to take all of the information from a specific Wikipedia page and use it as a page in the Book Creator.
Once you have your book done, you can download a copy of it in PDF or .txt formats, but, as I said, there is more information on those pages than what you appear to be wanting.

It might be easiest to access each page that you referenced in your Jun 22 post, and use Alex's suggestion to get the information you want.
You'd have to access each page, then copy & paste from the page to your spreadsheet, one at a time.

As to what you linked in your last post, personally I would combine the first two columns into one, so that you have either the Theatrical Title or the Series name.
The only thing I can think of that might make this unwanted for you, is if you were planning on sorting the titles by name.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.