Validity list results in error 520

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Waldo120

Validity list results in error 520

Post by Waldo120 »

Hi, I'm trying to make a drop down menu using a list in another sheet in the same file. And I do, quite well using Data - Validity - Cell Range. However, once I close, save, and reopen this document my drop down now says Err:520. What gives? According to the help file 520 is "compiler creates an unknown compiler code"

I should note that:
1. This file is on a network drive.
2. I am trying to create a whole column of drop downs to the same Cell Range, but I get this even when I only do one drop down cell.
3. This is saved in excel XP format.

Win XP, Ooo 2.4.1
Attachments
Calorie Count.xls
(74.5 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
squenson
Volunteer

Re: Validity list results in error 520

Post by squenson »

I guess that saving in Excel format is the root cause of the problem. Try saving in native OOo format (.ods) and let us know the result.
LibreOffice 4.2.3.3. on Ubuntu 14.04
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

Hi and welcome to the forums.

I took your file and modded it so that there was enough data in the Food List eto allow the menu to have data in it in the Monday sheet. Got it working by using the Data > Validity > Cell Range sequence as you did, supplying 'Food List'.$A2:$A19 as the cell range. It works in, saved it as a new .xls and it didn't work when re-opened, so it would appear it has nothing to do with a network drive.

I opened the original file and re-did the above, saved it as .odt, opened it again and it worked fine. Until recently the .xls and .doc formats were proprietary secrets, and the OOo developers had to reverse engineer them. I think you have either stumbled something that isn't supported by .xls or that OOo does't save correctly for the .xls file format.

(PS. 'Summery' means like the Summer, I think you meant 'Summary' ;) )

If your question has been answered please go to your first post, use the edit button and add [Solved] as the first word of the title. You can also select the green tick icon.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
fst
Volunteer

Post by fst »

Hi,

this can't work with XLS files because Excel isn't capable to use references to other sheets in Data-Validation-List or any other Validation feature.

So you have to use either the ODS file format or have to place the source for the list on the same sheet.

Frank
Frank

If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.