Converting to PDF files

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Frankfitz

Converting to PDF files

Post by Frankfitz »

I have more than 300 songs in TXT mode which I wish to convert to PDF. Is there a way in which I can do a 'blanket' conversion, rather than one at a time?

Thanking You

Frank
Open Office 3.1

Windows Vista
acknak

Re: Converting to PDF files

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

There is a menu: File > Wizards > Document Converter ... but it seems that it only applies to word-processing documents; I don't see any way to get a text-to-pdf conversion there.

You can do it from a command line, once you figure out how to access the OpenOffice program. On my system (Linux) it looks like this:

$ soffice --headless --convert-to pdf somefile.txt

Or, for many files:

$ soffice --headless --convert-to pdf *.txt
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Frankfitz

Post by Frankfitz »

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am not very computer literate, but I will try to figure it out. Are Word-processing documents not the same as text files?
Frank
Open Office 3.1

Windows Vista
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Yes and no! What acknak meant was that the conversion wizards convert to a word processing format, in this case OpenOffice's native format .odt. A word processing document potentially has more formatting information than a plain text file. Forget the wizards - I think these may prove to be a dead end. Try instead his final command line suggestion (you may need to pay attention to file paths). I suggest you should make a directory containing two or three non-critical or test .txt files and try acknak's suggestion.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Post by acknak »

Oops. I never thought that "text files" could be something other than plain text. But it would make more sense if you meant "text documents" created in some word processor.

The command line approach will work for that as well. Sorry I can't be more specific; maybe someone with access to a Windows system can write out the steps.

You may want to ask someone to help. It's not difficult but having a little experience using the command line would go a long way.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Frankfitz

Post by Frankfitz »

Thank you acknak and RoryOf. Much appreciated.
Open Office 3.1

Windows Vista