Calc document opens now in Writer

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Ladyredrobin38

Calc document opens now in Writer

Post by Ladyredrobin38 »

Not sure where to post this so I am starting here. Please forgive me ahead of time as I am new to Open Office.
I came up with a problem this morning when I went to open a document in Calc.
I have made a spreadsheet for statements that I am running for our local junior livestock show and premium sale.
I save the document correctly last night but this morning the document wants to open in writer and not calc. I sure hope someone can help me as this has been 2 weeks worth of work and I am on a time schedule to get this done. What do I do, or can I do anything?????? HELP!!!!!!

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply (Hagar, Moderator).
OpenOffice4.1.2On Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Help with open office

Post by Bill »

What file format did you specify when saving the document? Does it have the proper file name extension? Have you checked your default program settings for that file name extension? Can you post the document here? Do you have backups that you can restore?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Ladyredrobin38

Re: Calc document opens now in Writer

Post by Ladyredrobin38 »

No clue but I will check on it thanks
Ladyredrobin38

Post by Ladyredrobin38 »

I attached the file here. I am so new to all of this please bear with me. But learning is fun!
When This file was started 2 wks ago and up until now it was fine. I got into it and saved it multiple times. I saved it into a document file on my PC ( C) not on one drive. I have windows 10.
Attachments
SCJLS Exhibitors Statements.ods
File having problems with
(29 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Your file is corrupt, possibly because of over-hasty computer power down or hibernation, before internal housekeeping was complete.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Ladyredrobin38

Post by Ladyredrobin38 »

Great so starting over is my only option
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

To try and recover your file, you should look in the backup and temporary directories pointed to by /Tools /Options /OpenOffice : Paths. Rename any files in those to type .odt (or whatever file type you were using) and see if they contain your data. Download Recuva or PhotoRec (only one needed) and let it do an indepth recovery of deleted files on your computer. You may get a file containing some or all of your data (or not).
Ladyredrobin38

Post by Ladyredrobin38 »

Thanks! Even if I redo all of this what do I watch for so this doesn't happen again?
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

When you do File-->Save make sure that the box "Automatic File Name Extension" is checked.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Don't be in a hurry to close the file then power down the computer. Close the file, close OpenOffice, then use the Shut down option on the Start button (or whatever way they do this on win 10) Wait for disk activity to cease. This only takes a few more seconds. Over time, these accumulated seconds will still add up to much less than the time to rewrite a damaged or lost file.