PowerPoint ppsx what?

Discuss the presentation application
alexanderrogge

PowerPoint ppsx what?

Post by alexanderrogge »

Whose idea was it to take a straightforward presentation file that Microsoft PowerPoint could generate as PPT, and turn it into a "ppsx" file that looks like trash? I don't know what will open this file, but OpenOffice definitely won't. I even tried the suggestion to open it with the PowerPoint 2007 XML filter, but it strips out all of the images, mangles the text formatting, and shoves most of the text off of the bottom of the slides. What possible purpose does "ppsx", or "pptx" for that matter, serve as an improvement over PPT files?
OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 on Mac OS X
/a3

Re: PowerPoint ppsx what?

Post by /a3 »

Which version of OpenOffice.org are you using? There are a few versions in your signature. OpenOffice.org 2.4 won't be able to open PPTX (OOXML) files, but apparently OpenOffice.org 3.0 and above should be able to. But I'm not sure how "good" OpenOffice.org 3.0 would be at opening those files, which might be why you're having issues.

In terms of improvements over the old Microsoft formats, I'm not convinced there are that many. You can read about OOXML (the "new" Microsoft format) at Wikipedia: Office Open XML. Of course, most of us here prefer the ODF format (.odp for presentations) because it is built by a number of companies and there are no potential patent issues.
LibreOffice 4.2
alexanderrogge

Post by alexanderrogge »

I'm using OpenOffice version 3.3.0. I actually don't know how that signature got there, because I've never used NeoOffice or Windows Vista.

That signature is fixed now. Anyway, I've rejected an "xlsm" file as well. If you want me to read something, don't send file formats that won't open except with your specific version of Microsoft Office. Surprisingly, they weren't interested in converting the file, so that's more of my time not wasted.
OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 on Mac OS X
/a3

Post by /a3 »

alexanderrogge wrote:Anyway, I've rejected an "xlsm" file as well. If you want me to read something, don't send file formats that won't open except with your specific version of Microsoft Office. Surprisingly, they weren't interested in converting the file, so that's more of my time not wasted.
OK, good to hear. Not sure if this is worth trying, but apparently LibreOffice might be slightly better at opening Microsoft's formats, if that's what you need. Although I'd still recommend either using the old Microsoft format or the ODF, rather than the new formats (OOXML).
LibreOffice 4.2
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Better avoid the OOXML format, have a look at: MS Office 2007 OOXML file format (docx, xslx, pptx, ppsx).
Standards like ODF (native format for OOo) have been designed for interoperability. OOXML has not bee designed for that. MS will continue the vendor lock-in policy to keep their market shares...

If you need to open ppsx, then buy MS Office.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
smitti79

Post by smitti79 »

/a3 wrote:
alexanderrogge wrote:Anyway, I've rejected an "xlsm" file as well. If you want me to read something, don't send file formats that won't open except with your specific version of Microsoft Office. Surprisingly, they weren't interested in converting the file, so that's more of my time not wasted.
OK, good to hear. Not sure if this is worth trying, but apparently LibreOffice might be slightly better at opening Microsoft's formats, if that's what you need. Although I'd still recommend either using the old Microsoft format or the ODF, rather than the new formats (OOXML).
Nope, LibreOffice's latest (I updated as part of my quest to solve this prob over the last 3 wks) definitely will not open PPSX (or, it'll open the slides but not the sound)...that is, in my UBUNTU (Pangolin) environment.
OpenOffice 3.3 on ubuntu (Pangolin)
johnbray

Post by johnbray »

Easy fix. Has to be if I just did it. Open with Google Slides then download as .pptx which should opened perfectly with Apache Open Office 4.1.1

Good Luck,

jray
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Windows 8.1 version 6.3 Build 9600