[Solved] Locked for editing by unknown user

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
status001

[Solved] Locked for editing by unknown user

Post by status001 »

Hi,

I have a client who recently upgraded to Windows 10 and he is using OpenOffice 4.1. Since upgrading all open office file are locked for editing by unknown user. I have turned on hidden files and folders but there are no lock files in the folder. I have tried taking ownership of the files and then opening but it still has this error. Is there any other workaround for this?

Thanks

Malcolm
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 4.1on Windows 10 x64
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Locked for editing by unknown user

Post by Bill »

AFAIK, the "locked by unknown user" message is only displayed if there is a lock file present in the same folder as the user's file. Lock files not removed before upgrading to Windows 10 will cause this message if the user or computer name changes (the lock file contains both names), however it would be highly unusual if every file had a lock file unless the user is in the habit of not closing files properly.

Taking ownership is necessary if file permissions need to be changed. Taking ownership doesn't affect actual permissions or locking of files, but incorrect permissions would result in an "access denied" message, not a locked file message.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Sometimes I have seen a lock file in the root of the OO user profile (alongside the "user" directory); I have no definite analysis of why this is present; it doesn't always occur. At a guess, and it is just a guess, it may be something to do with network access of an OO file (my major working files are stored on a NAS server).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The lock file alongside the user directory is always present when OpenOffice is running. It doesn't affect opening of user files.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I shutdown OpenOffice and pasted a lock file with a different user name alongside the user directory to see what would happen when trying to open a file. This resulted in the message "Either another instance of OpenOffice is accessing your personal settings or your personal settings are locked" instead of the message "Locked by unknown user".
gerard24
Volunteer

Post by gerard24 »

LibreOffice 6.4.5 on Windows 10
status001

Post by status001 »

Hi,

Thanks for everyone that posted, I knew it wasn't a lock file, I had already searched the whole computer, plus it was every open office file that he tried to open. Anyway I finally found the issue, it was Bitdefender Ransomware Protection. Even if all the OpenOffice applications are in trusted applications, the problem still happens. With this switched off, all open document files open fine.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Have you reported this to Bitdefender?
status001

Re: [Solved] Locked for editing by unknown user

Post by status001 »

Hi Bill,

Yes I sent an e-mail to Bitdefender. They sent me back an how to guide for setting up Ransomware but it was just a product overview, nothing to help with the error. So I have left it turned off.
mikeguz

Post by mikeguz »

My issue was with the "Impress" Presentation program. By default, it brings up this "Wizard" which allows you to either create a blank presentation, open a template, or select files you have edited before.

When I selected one of the files I had edited before, a "Preview" shows up. Then when attempt to Open that file, the Open fails with the lock message.

I made two changes in the Wizard, (1) for the Wizard to never show me Previews and (2) for Impress itself to never show the Wizard at all and just always open up a blank presentation upon launch. I then exited the program, killed all of the Open Office processes in the process table, deleted the .~lock* files as described in responses above, then ran Impress again.

Now, the Wizard never comes up, and the lock problem has not resurfaced since.

I did also notice that Preview in the Wizard is in itself generating these lock files as you switch from one file to the next, and the lock files don't seem to go away while the Wizard is running. So as best as I can tell, what is happening is a classic race condition, where the actual File Open is attempted before the Wizard Preview has had a chance to close and unlock the file it was previewing.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 7
Flynn MacNiall

Post by Flynn MacNiall »

I have just spent 10 minutes trying to get a doc i work on from being "locked by an unknown user" when i open it again.
Surely there is a simple way to just disable the lock function.
No one else works on my documents but me yet i often get the message "open read only" or "Copy" what is the deal with that.
I have never checked use the lock function.

So, anyone know what i am talking about and how to get around this duplication of effort?

Thanks Finn
OpenOffice 4.1.4 on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

If you read this whole thread, you will find that the "locked by an unknown user" message was caused by another program. The AOO lock function should give an actual user name, not "unknown user". If the AOO lock function is finding a lock file and producing the message, it only takes about 10 seconds to delete the lock file.
AkiraLe

Post by AkiraLe »

Thank you, thanks to you that I found the answer very detailed
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 10
RobertWS

Post by RobertWS »

On my system, the directory the file was in somehow got set to hidden and read-only. I had a short cut to the file on my desktop.

It was an easy fix.
OpenOffice 4.1.6
Windows 10