JRE not found or seen - Mac OS X 10.5.1

Creating tables and queries
Philippe

JRE not found or seen - Mac OS X 10.5.1

Post by Philippe »

MacBook - Dual Intel - Mac OS X Leopard (10.5.1) and OO 2.3 under X11app2.0 (X11.app 2.0 - X.org X11R7.2)
French version.
When I try to open Base, it tells me I need JRE. Then: No Java could be found !
But when I try to download a new Java from Apple, the last one (6) is for Mac OS X 10.4 "or later" Tiger...! And it closes.
What should I do ? Or where do I goof.
It does the same when I open Base under Windows XP SP2. (BootCamp) on the same MacBook
I DID NOT TEST every apps of Open Office thoroughly. But with Base, this problem pops up immediately.
I am trying Open Office and before buying the latest version I would like this one be working.
Thanks for any help.
Philippe
wurzel
Volunteer

Re: JRE not found or seen - Mac OS X 10.5.1

Post by wurzel »

Hi,
Have you told OOo where Java is to be found ? In other words, have you gone through the menu :
Tools > Options > Java and then selected your Java version ?

Alex
Philippe

Post by Philippe »

It did work with Windows but with Mac OS X, there NO "location" shown in the window on the right of the screen when I choose JAVA in the Tools - Option - etc...
That's why I did try to reinstall Java but got the warning - and automatic closure - when I imported Java 6 for Mac (while posted 2 or 3 days ago only !).
Thanks for your help

Philippe
wurzel
Volunteer

Post by wurzel »

So this seems to be a Leopard only problem. I'll ask on the mac porting list and get back to you.

Alex
wurzel
Volunteer

Post by wurzel »

Hi Philippe,
This is the reply I got from the Mac porting guys :

"on our downloads page you will find this warning:
"Please note that the Java features of OpenOffice.org are only available from OpenOffice.org 2.4 (more specifically milestone m237) and later. This means that the Wizards, Base and some other things are unavailable in 2.3.1 or earlier. All other functionality of OpenOffice.org remains on Leopard."

So unless you install a development version or compile it yourself, it looks like you're goosed :-(

Alex
smsm1

Post by smsm1 »

You may wish to take a look at: http://shaunmcdonald131.blogspot.com/20 ... opard.html and http://shaunmcdonald131.blogspot.com/20 ... aming.html which explains the problem and a workaround.

m239 is now available, which includes even more improvements.
Philippe

Post by Philippe »

Thanks to all of you.
I will follow your advices and read whatever you suggest.
I am not enough a techy to "compile" or install a "development version". So I will have to decide either we keep on going with MS Office or try - at our own risks - Open Office, newest version, without being sure everything will work.
Thanks again

Philippe
smsm1

Post by smsm1 »

Installing a development version is as simple as installing any other version of OpenOffice.org. It is just a little bit more difficult to select the correct download, and there is a greater risk that there is a bug in it.