Copy/paste, Excel to Word

Talk about anything at all....
Darkrose

Copy/paste, Excel to Word

Post by Darkrose »

Brief background - hubby/hacker/geek upgraded me from a prior computer to one much faster. In the process, since Windows 7 could no longer be used, he had to set me up w/ Win10.
I have a very simple need for an ongoing project. I used to be able to fill out a spreadsheet and when done w/ a batch of product I was able to highlight the size/style/color chunk, paste it into the body of a word-based receipt template that I like, do the same w/ the cost column into the cost section of said receipt, and have those areas auto-expand so it could be printed, e-mailed or saved as I prefered. Meaning the empty template may look (on the moniter) like there was only an inch of space in a box, but once the list was pasted, it might appear 5 inches long, with a matching numbers column for line item prices. And when saved as, it would retain the new look/size/shape.
This new OS, and all the associated .... %$#@%$#@* stuff... that goes w/ it is beyond frustrating, because I can't figure out how to do something that should be an incredibly simple action. Please, I really need help before I throw my machine out a window.

Respectfully frustrated
Darkrose :crazy:
Apache open office 4.1.1
Windows 10 (Bah. I want my old windows OS back)
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Copy/paste, Excel to Word. HELP!

Post by Bill »

You mention a "word-based receipt template" and Excel, but not Writer or Calc. Were you using Excel and Word on the old computer? Did you switch to Writer and Calc on the new computer? This sounds more like differences in the way programs work together, not anything to do with the operating system.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Darkrose

Post by Darkrose »

Yes, I've always used Word and Excel, and like them a lot. I'm afraid I don't know what Writer or Calc are. For a smart but not overly tech savvy type like myself, the former are user friendly and understandable and if there's a way to maintain using them instead of new stuff, that would really be my preference. .
I HAVE tried following some of the links that offer templates in whatever windows 10 is calling the current Word-esque document, and every time it takes me to one or more websites for a free download of whatever, and I haven't been able to get one successfully downloaded. I frankly don't really understand what I should be doing w/ the new one, and DH, gamer than he is, uses very different tools so hasn't been able to give me much advise.
Apache open office 4.1.1
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Writer and Calc are part of OpenOffice. Word and Excel are part of MS Office. This forum is for OpenOffice. If you're using MS Office, you need to go to a MS Office or Windows 10 forum where you will find users of MS Office.
Darkrose

Post by Darkrose »

So then I'd like a little clarification please. 1. Does that mean that MS office is still available for and useable on windows 10? (I hope), and 2. By having windows 10 installed w/, so far as I'm aware, only it's own stuff, does it automatically default to OpenOffice unless I make some changes? That would help me look in the right direction for answers.
Thank you, by the way, for replying so quickly above.
Apache open office 4.1.1
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Windows 7 and Windows 10 are operating systems. The operating systems allow other programs like MS Office and OpenOffice to be installed by the user. MS Office will be available and usable only if someone has installed MS Office. OpenOffice will be available and usable only if someone has installed OpenOffice. If you haven't installed anything, then you need to ask whoever set up your computer what programs are installed.
Darkrose

Post by Darkrose »

Thank you, Bill, for the input. That actually helps a lot and I think I'll have things sorted before the end of the weekend. Hope you enjoy yours, and have a relaxing Valentines.
Apache open office 4.1.1
davidhardy
Banned

Re: Copy/paste, Excel to Word

Post by davidhardy »

Hai....
Same thing even I had.I am also using excel and word for my works.
Converting excel to word document sometimes feel very difficult for me.
Later I noted there are many ways to overcome this.
ButI thing the setting are in that excel page itself first we have to select that embedded chart which we want to copy and later from home tab select the copy button,and latter paste it into appropriate options..
I had solved my problem this way hope this will help you too..
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista