Automating OpenOffice from external application

Java, C++, C#, Delphi... - Using the UNO bridges
collectordave

Automating OpenOffice from external application

Post by collectordave »

I am very new to the forum. 1 hour now. Sorry if the post is in the wrong pllace

I have been programming using VB for the last few years and have now switched to PureBasic as I wish to write for the MAC.

With VB i was able to automate the office suite to produce word and excell documents from my application. Simply adding text and images to a document. I would like to do the same with open office using PureBasic if possible.

Is there a guide to automating OpenOffice that I could use to make a start on this?

Any help would be really appreciated.
Open Office 3.1 on windows 7
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Newbie!! Automating Open Office from external applicati

Post by Zizi64 »

I never heard about the PureBasic. But you can control and automating the Apache OpenOffice and LibreOffice, if you study, understand, and use the API functions of the office suite.

http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php

PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

You can start the office suite in listening mode and use Python to connect with and work with the listening office instance. The office suite comes with a fully functional Python runtime.
It is not a newbie problem anyway. At least you should have a deeper understanding of the office suite you try to manipulate.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
collectordave

Post by collectordave »

Thanks for the replies.

I will first upgrade to latest version then study the APIs.

Thanks again.
collectordave

Re: Automating OpenOffice from external application

Post by collectordave »

Upgraded to latest version. Definately want to write OO files from PureBasic.

Looked at the options and I think it is easier for me to manipulate the .odt and .ods files directly.

Allready have procedures for UnZipping and some small modyfications. Have written my first procedure to write a calc sheet with data from a database.

Just need to understand xml a little better.

Thanks for the pointers

Regards

CD