Problem Trying to Use a .MOV Movie Clip

Discuss the presentation application
sgitlin

Problem Trying to Use a .MOV Movie Clip

Post by sgitlin »

Most of the movie clips that I want to insert in an Impress presentation, are of .AVI format, and they work fine. I do have a couple of .MOV files that I would like to insert without first converting them to .AVI format, but when I try this, I get a "The Format of the Selected File is Not Supported" error message.

The drop down box on file types on the Insert dialog box indicates that Quicktime Video file format is supported. Is it referring to some other Quicktime file format? What am I missing here??

Thanks in advance,
Stew
OOo 2.4.X on MS Windows Vista
sgitlin

Re: Problem Trying to Use a .MOV Movie Clip

Post by sgitlin »

Some additional information from another Impress user who also tried unsuccessfully to insert a .mov movie clip into an Impress presentation -

Just tried an experiment, loaded a WEB based MOV file into Impress. Some window came up talking about ffd...? I said use it (some codex files). All WEB based MOV files played. I got the same error message you did when I tried a MOV file from my Olympus camera. FormatFactory converted it to avi successfully. There must be some header that Impress doesn't like.

I was curious, downloaded free PX Binary Viewer, 1.1.040.
EVERY .mov file that "works", either a film or sound file (checked out 4 files), has moov, in the header, (hex 6D 6F 6F 76); the Olympus mov file has (hex 70 6E 6F 74) in the same positions. All play on my machine with Quicktime installed.

My camera is a Panasonic Lumix, so at least 2 camera vendors are producing .mov files that Impress is not recognizing.

Stew

Update July 22 -
A last bit of information. I asked a third person to try this out, and she was able to play .mov clips in Impress with no problem. We are all using Impress 2.4 and QuickTime 7.5. The only difference appears to be the operating systems being used. The ones that weren't able to run .mov clips in Impress, include Vista Home Premium, and XP Home with SP2. The one that did work was running on XP Media Center Edition with SP3. I have no idea if this has any bearing on the problem, but I've run out of ideas.
OOo 2.4.X on MS Windows Vista
HansLambermont

Re: Problem Trying to Use a .MOV Movie Clip

Post by HansLambermont »

Using OOo 2.4 on Linux I can create and play impress files with embedded quicktime .mov clips.

When I copy the impress directory (.odp and video files) from Linux to a Windows-XP machine with OOo 3.0.9379 the embedded .mov files do not play.
Other embedded videos, like mpeg's do play.

This Windows-XP machine has quicktime 7.60.92.0 installed, and it can play the .mov files fine (tested from the file explorer).

When editing the impress file on windows, and adding a new .mov clip OOo says "the format of the selected file is not supported".

Hope this helps in debugging the issue.

regards,
Hans Lambermont
OOo 2.4.X on Ubuntu 8.x