My Whole Document Is Now ####### ...

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
caninekam

My Whole Document Is Now ####### ...

Post by caninekam »

Okay my whole document is now the same number of pages of the # symbol. At first it was also read-only, but now it's decided it is a writer. Anybody know what happened? It's a .odt file and I didn't have it registered, but now that I'm registered it's still the #'s. I'm running windows7 Professional. Thanks in advance anybody who can tell me what happened so i might avoid it in the future!
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 7 Professional
RoryOF

Re: My Whole Document Is Now ####### ...

Post by RoryOF »

Usually such file loss occurs with a program crash or with over hasty shut down of the computer after using OpenOffice. The OO file structure is complex and takes longer to build than other formats, so it is best to be leisurely in powering down the computer; this gives time for hardware/software write buffers to flush. I suggest closing the file, then close OpenOffice. Gather your papers and pens, then power off computer. Don't just close the file and immediately snap power switch off or close the laptop lid. The computer has housekeeping to do!

To try and recover your file, you should look in the backup and temporary directories pointed to by /Tools /Options /OpenOffice : Paths. Rename any files in those to type .odt (or whatever file type you were using) and see if they contain your data. Download Recuva or PhotoRec (only one needed) and let it do an indepth recovery of deleted files on your computer. You may get a file containing some or all of your data (or not).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Sadly, quite nothing to do I fear, see: 22 pages term paper replaced with pound signs.

Check the temporary folder of the system (see in OO Tools>Options>OO>Paths). If there are folders like sgmlf.tmp with a file having the same name inside, make a copy of that file, rename it in .odt and cross your fingers.

If you want to help fix this problem, you can also do this survey created for this very problem: Document Recovery Survey.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
caninekam

Post by caninekam »

Dudes, thank you!
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 7 Professional
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Let us know if you managed to recover something. If the temporary files are not deleted, you may be able to get the file.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

caninekam wrote:... I didn't have it registered, but now that I'm registered it's still the #'s. ...
Umm, what do you mean by "registered"?

OO does not require--or even allow--any kind of registration. If the software or web page asked you to register somewhere or pay some kind of fee, something may be off-track.

You do register for the forum, of course. That's perfectly normal.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23