Auto Text entries

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
Golfer

Auto Text entries

Post by Golfer »

Concerning the auto text. I select edit then auto text. A box appears. The I type in a word, then a shortcut, then select standard. Instructions I read then tell me to select auto text button and then new. But the button is grayed out. What could be wrong here?
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on
Windows 8.1
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Auto Text entries

Post by Bill »

The "Standard" category is in Program Files and is read-only. Select the "My AutoText" category which is in the user profile and can be modified by the user.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Golfer

Post by Golfer »

Thank you, I selected MY TEXT, typed in the word, but when I select the auto text button it doesn't show a new, but an import button
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on
Windows 8.1
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

I think you have to have some text selected in the document for the New button to be active. Otherwise, AutoText doesn't know what you want to insert.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Golfer wrote:Thank you, I selected MY TEXT, typed in the word, but when I select the auto text button it doesn't show a new, but an import button
You type in a name and a shortcut for the AutoText on the AutoText dialog. The AutoText itself must be selected in the document. It is not typed in the AutoText dialog.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Golfer

Post by Golfer »

When I want to use auto text, do I need to open up the auto text box and select the word and hit insert. It seems to work this way. Shouldn't I be able to type the short cut on the page itself to have it posted.
also when I highlight the word on document, open auto text and type in the word, then select to type in a shortcut, it puts it in uppercase only. Why?
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on
Windows 8.1
acknak

Post by acknak »

Golfer wrote:... Shouldn't I be able to type the short cut on the page itself to have it posted.
Type the shortcut/abbreviation then press F3 to replace the abbreviation with the corresponding autotext entry.
... type in a shortcut, it puts it in uppercase only. Why?
Because the abbreviation is case-insensitive. The abbreviations are entered and stored as ALL CAPS but it the letter case doesn't matter when you use it in the document.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Golfer

Re: Auto Text entries and opening files

Post by Golfer »

I'll get back on the auto text. Now, I'm experiencing problems with opening a few word
files, others open fine, but these few, when I select to open them. A box appears about a filter selection. I went to Microsoft word 2007 template I select it. Then a box opens saying General Error. General input/output error.
What is going on here? Problems using this software.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on
Windows 8.1
acknak

Post by acknak »

The "ASCII Filter" window is the "last resort" when for some reason a file cannot be opened. Usually, it means that the file is damaged, but it could be that the file format is not supported, or some other reason.

The only thing I can suggest is to try and open the file with MS Office. If that works, you can save a new copy in a more compatible file format, or copy/paste into OO.
Golfer

Post by Golfer »

I copied the file into a OpenOffice new document, it offers to save it in an odt extension or to select keep current format

If I select keep current format, will it save it in the word doc. format. But it only offers word 97/XP/2000 version.
Isn't there any update of the word format, like word 2012 to keep the file format in this version I used originally.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on
Windows 8.1
acknak

Post by acknak »

OO has some support for the newer MS Office formats but the 97/XP/2000 format is the best supported, all around.