New Document Listing .odt Docs in Directory?

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
Ellsinore

New Document Listing .odt Docs in Directory?

Post by Ellsinore »

I'm not sure if I've asked this before, but I know I've been thinking about it for a long, long time.

I have a directory with many .odt documents that I would like a list of, which would include some of the fields from the many .odt docs.

There are over a thousand of them now, and there will be many, many more before I'm finished. They use different templates and there are too many of them to generate a master document -- the file would be huge.

What I would like to do is generate a new document (or spreadsheet) that reads the information from the .odt documents in the directory and populates a table with the date, title, etc., from the .odt documents in that directory.

Hope this makes sense -- and is it possible?

Thanks!
LO Version: 6.3.2.2 (x64) on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: New Document Listing .odt Docs in Directory?

Post by RoryOF »

This might help you get started
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/196158

It may not provide enough information for you.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Ellsinore

Post by Ellsinore »

Yes, that's the idea. But you're right, the info I need isn't there. However, since Explorer *can* read the title of the document, I wonder if there's an option to include that in the text file. I'll dig some more. Thanks!
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Are you sure Explorer can read the titles of .odt files? I see titles of .doc files displayed in Explorer, but no titles of .odt files. My .odt files only display Name, Date modified, Type and Size in Explorer.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Ellsinore

Post by Ellsinore »

Bill wrote:Are you sure Explorer can read the titles of .odt files? I see titles of .doc files displayed in Explorer, but no titles of .odt files. My .odt files only display Name, Date modified, Type and Size in Explorer.
Hi, Bill -- You have to add the "Title" attribute to the list of columns, but it will show that for the .odt files and .jpg as well. As you can see, it doesn't show the title for the .pdf files -- but you can change that, also, by using Libraries and using "Arrange by Name." Maybe it's because I'm on Windows 7 -- which I should have included in my original post. I'm not sure about other Windows versions.
Attachments
ss_filel_list.jpg
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

OK, it's working here now. For some reason after adding the Title column in Explorer, the titles weren't displayed for the .odt files, but they were displayed after restarting the computer.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04