Malformed Product (Pi) symbol in 4.1.2

Discuss the formula editor
FJCC

Malformed Product (Pi) symbol in 4.1.2

Post by FJCC »

An issue with the product symbol, upper case pi, has been reported on the dev list and confirmed by one other person. A formula such as

Code: Select all

prod from {x=1} to 10 x+5
produces an odd looking Pi without serifs in Writer, though the PDF export looks fine. The two users used Windows 8.1 and 10. I cannot reproduce the defect on Windows 7 or Redhat Linux. I opened
a bugzilla issue 126666.

Can anyone else reproduce the problem? Any suggestions about what is going on? Files related to the problem are at http://www.patriciashanahan.com/OpenOffice
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
acknak

Re: Malformed Product (Pi) symbol in 4.1.2

Post by acknak »

Seems ok for me (4.1.2rc3 on Linux)
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
pats@acm.org

Post by pats@acm.org »

I have installed aoo 4.1.2 on a Windows 7 laptop, and it does not reproduce the problem. I see a beautiful capital Pi, occupying the whole of its frame, and everything properly aligned. I am pushing ahead with trying to build. If I can do that, I can put the Windows 7 laptop next to the Windows 8 computer that reproduces the problem, and do comparative debug.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 8.1 / OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 7
orcmid
Volunteer

Post by orcmid »

FJCC wrote:Can anyone else reproduce the problem? Any suggestions about what is going on? Files related to the problem are at http://www.patriciashanahan.com/OpenOffice
In AOO 4.1.2 on Windows 10, I opened Formula (OpenOffice Math) and entered the code directly into it. I see the same problem with the capital Pi and centering of the above and below items. (The Pi looks left aligned rather than centered beneath the over/under rows.)

This isolates more to be looked at in the saved document.

An amusing aspect of this for ODF-wonks is the use of the settings.xml file for something that is not quite what the intended purpose of that is. Since settings.xml is implementation specific (and documented who-knows-where for OpenOffice.org).

Here are some more results:

For the *.odf (Formula) file on Windows 10, both Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 and LibreOffice 5.0 show the same defect.

For the *.odt (Text) file on Windows 10, both Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 and LibreOffice 5.0 show the same defect. Microsoft Office Word shows the product notation entirely as expected; there is extra space between the product symbol and the "x + 5". I can't tell if that is showing where something is expected in the Equation Design or it is an actual space. It may be that the {x + 5} is needed in the OpenOffice Math entry. Something to check.
Libre Office 7.0.4 and Microsoft 365 on Windows 10
Daiwe01

Post by Daiwe01 »

I see no problem with the quoted code using AOO412m3(Build:9782) - Rev. 1709696 on WinXP SP3 (where I am coding at the moment).
I am using the STIX font.
What font is used where a problem is seen?
AOO 4.1.5 Win7Pro/2KPro/XP & *nix (But my heart is still VAX/VMS)
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Perhaps read [Solved] Symbols font on Windows 8.1. OOo 3.2 on Mac OS X 10.9.5 produces a nice pi symbol with serifs.
Screen Shot 2015-11-18 at 12.21.19 .png
Screen Shot 2015-11-18 at 12.21.19 .png (7.84 KiB) Viewed 7921 times
If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the title. You can select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

The bugzilla issue I opened has been closed as a duplicate of 124203. It is indeed the issue linked by MrProgrammer.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
pats@acm.org

Post by pats@acm.org »

I think it is a duplicate in the sense that both are about failure to use a suitable font for the math symbols. I tried the workaround, forcing Cambria Math for OpenSymbol. It did put serifs on the capital Pi, but the alignment is still not quite right.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 8.1 / OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 7
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

Another possible workaround:
Using my "old" (2013-01-29) opens___.ttf I can resort to (e.g.):

Code: Select all

oper %PI  from {x=1} to 10 (x+5)
In the attached example (fake extension due to forum software's stubbornness) I get the "ugly hook" using the 'prod' command and a well formed uppercase pi with serifs using the 'oper' command with %PI.
(The updated OpenSymbol fonts offered in viewtopic.php?f=12&t=67772 did not work satisfyingly for me. I got the PI only on the screen but not when printing - and did not understand why.)
Attachments
ooo80398SymbolTest.odf.ods
(6.42 KiB) Downloaded 574 times
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München