Large spreadsheet does not open in OpenOffice

Discuss the spreadsheet application
ammorei

Large spreadsheet does not open in OpenOffice

Post by ammorei »

Good afternoon!

I have a spreadsheet in '.xlsx', with a size around 150Mb and containing +/- 400000 lines.
I tried to open it in OpenOffice and the program is with a gray screen with the progress bar, just arriving at a point that the bar does not advance and the program simply crashes.

Is there any way to open this worksheet in OpenOffice.
Libre Version: 4.1.2

Thank you!
LibreOffice 5.0.3.2 on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Large spreadsheet does not open in OpenOffice

Post by Zizi64 »

If I understood exactly?

Have vou tried to open the file with

Apache OpenOffice (which version?)
LibreOffice 4.1.2
LibreOffice 5.0.3.2 (the version in your signature)
 Edit: Edited 
All of distributions and versions was crashed?
Last edited by Zizi64 on Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
ammorei

Post by ammorei »

Excuse.

Was trying to open the Libre 5.0.3.2 and now I'm trying to open in OpenOffice 4.1.2 and in both programs is problem.
Processing and spreadsheet is then locks the program.
LibreOffice 5.0.3.2 on Windows 10
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

There was a recent posting about a similar problem about a week ago viewtopic.php?f=9&t=80206 but the problem was the file would not open in AOO but would in LibreOffice so you might get it to open in AOO.

Where did the .docx file come from---I'm wondering if there may have been a glitch in transferring it. If you can what about trying to open the file in Excel just to check that it is not seriously corrupted?

Another approach, if Excel is not handy, might be to see if it opens in Gnumeric. I am coming to think of Gnumeric as the Swiss knife or Leatherman tool for opening wonky spreadsheet files.
 Edit: Depending on where it came from it might not even be a .docx file but just have a .docx suffix. A lot of reporting programs tend to do this because Excel seems to be specifically engineered to open that kind of file and AOO Calc is not. I'd suggest trying to open the file with text editor. If it is a text file just change the name from file.docx to file.txt and Calc should be able to open it from within Calc. 
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Noting as how you are referring to a spreadsheet, I recalled a similar problem with large spreadsheets (200,000+ rows), which was caused by the Auto-Height Adjustment routine taking so long that the system was frozen.
I did get an extension (thought it was actually a macro, but my files show it as an extension) that resolved the problem.
Attachments
AdjustHeight-0.0.1.rar
Hope that this is the right file. Haven't needed it lately.
(3.09 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

I have the feeling that that may have been the problem with the earlier spreadsheet as well. It took approximately 10 minutes to adjusting row heights and then crashed with no error message.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.