[Solved] Sorting numbers in a Single cell...

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Chris_A

[Solved] Sorting numbers in a Single cell...

Post by Chris_A »

Hi:

Could anyone tell me if it is possible to sort/arrange the individual digits of a number (within a cell) from lowest to highest? For example, if i have the following numbers in a cell:

...and want change the number to:

479 (i.e. lowest to highest)

Is this possible and if so, how do i do it? I have 20 cells in a column, each with a 3 digit number, and I want to rearrange the numbers in each cell from lowest to highest. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Chris Adams
Open Office 4.1.1
Windows 10 Home Edition
gerard24
Volunteer

Re: Help -Sorting numbers in a Single cell...

Post by gerard24 »

Hi,

Your 3 digits numbers in Column A, this formula in B1 (and copy down) :

Code: Select all

=SUMPRODUCT(LARGE(VALUE(MID(A1;ROW($A$1:$A$3);1));ROW($A$1:$A$3));10^(ROW($A$1:$A$3)-1))
LibreOffice 6.4.5 on Windows 10
Chris_A

Post by Chris_A »

Thanks, that worked. However, some of my number sequences begin with a 0, for example 032. I am getting an error message for these (Err:502). Any way around this?
Chris Adams
Open Office 4.1.1
Windows 10 Home Edition
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Replace the A1 with TEXT(A1;"000")
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Chris_A

Post by Chris_A »

Thanks so much. That did the trick!
Chris Adams
Open Office 4.1.1
Windows 10 Home Edition
eremmel

Re: [Solved] Sorting numbers in a Single cell...

Post by eremmel »

Just for generalization for variable length numbers replace $A$1:$A$3 with OFFSET($A$1;0;0;LENGTH(A1);1).
Note do not change the $A$1, but only the A1 in the replacement when your value is not in A1.
It's Microsoft marketing that tells you computers are qualified for non-technicians
W11 22H2 (build 22621), LO 7.4.2.3(x64)
Lupp
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Sorting numbers in a Single cell...

Post by Lupp »

Assuming the numbers are actually text as the example "032" given by the OQ suggests, I won't worry about conversion to text.
Concerning the generalisation by eremmel there is a wee little issue: If the original data are just somewhere, and none in the first row, user may one day delete that first row. >> "#REF!". In fact the issue also afflicts the less generalised solutions which will lose one digit per step.
To avoid this we need to base the OFFSET() expression on INDIRECT("a1") instead of using $A$1 in that place.

Another idea (just for fun): If you want to play with an LibO V5.3.4 or higher (NOT working in AOO!) you can try

Code: Select all

{=TEXTJOIN("";0;REPT(ROW(OFFSET(INDIRECT("a1");0;0;10;1))-1;COUNTIF(MID(G11;ROW(OFFSET(INDIRECT("a1");0;0;LEN(G11);1));1);""& (ROW(OFFSET(INDIRECT("a1");0;0;10;1))-1))))}
entered for array-evaluation (original number in G11 here).

(OT: If I remember correctly LibO V 4.2.8 was one of the few versions suffering from the issue concerning "Update references when sorting range of cells".)
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München