Links not working

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Nikos

Links not working

Post by Nikos »

Hi,

I am using OpenOffice 2.3 (Novell edition) on OpenSuse 10.3 aswell as OpenOffice 2.3 on a Windows 2000 machine. I have made some buttons in a calc spreadsheet, that link to other sheets in the same document. These links (created on the OpenSuse machine) work perfectly on the Windows version of OpenOffice, however they do not on the OpenSuse itself. I guess I have to activate hyperlinks somewhere, but have no clue where.

Any ideas?
LibreOffice 4.0.5 on OpenSuse 12.3/64bit/KDE4.10 (Version from the TDF page) + LibreOffice 4.1.1 on Debian Wheezy/64bit/KDE4.8 + LibreOffice 4.1.1 on Win7/64bit
acknak

Re: Links not working

Post by acknak »

They should work. Links were changed in 2.3 to require Ctrl+Click, but I don't believe that applies to Calc, only Writer so far. (May be worth a try though).

How did you create the buttons? If a macro was used, then it may be disabled on one system and not the other.

Also, depending on how the links were created, it may require activating a browser as an intermediate step--does that work? If you simply type "www.openoffice.org" in a cell, do you get a functional link?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Nikos

Post by Nikos »

I created the links (as mentioned they link to other sheets in the same document) as follows:

INSERT -> HYPERLINK
Then I specified the relevant TARGET in the document and I changed the FORM from "text" to "button".

When I insert hyperlinks as "text" they work on both systems (Similarly typing http://www.openoffice.org provides a functional link on both systems). So the problem seems to lie in the Pushbuttons (which work only on the windows system).
LibreOffice 4.0.5 on OpenSuse 12.3/64bit/KDE4.10 (Version from the TDF page) + LibreOffice 4.1.1 on Debian Wheezy/64bit/KDE4.8 + LibreOffice 4.1.1 on Win7/64bit
acknak

Post by acknak »

INSERT -> HYPERLINK
Then I specified the relevant TARGET in the document and I changed the FORM from "text" to "button".
That works perfectly for me: the link buttons are completely functional.

Does it work if you do that in a new sheet in OpenSuSE? It may simply be a bug in the Novell edition.

To see the settings for the button, you need to enter "Form design" mode (View > Toolbars > Form Controls; then click the "Form Design ON/OFF" button). Now you can select the button, right-click > Control, then look for the "Action" and "URL' settings. That may give you some clue where the problem is.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Works fine for me also. But by default, I was in editing mode (don't remember touching that setting). I had to switch it off to get the button working.

NB: moved the thread to the Setup & Troubleshouting forum (same for Writer but I agree, it could be in an application forum).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Nikos

Post by Nikos »

acknak wrote:

Does it work if you do that in a new sheet in OpenSuSE? It may simply be a bug in the Novell edition.
Links work perfectly in other sheets in the Novell edition (OpenSuse), if these documents are created in the OpenSuse Novell edition. However, if I open the document (originally created in OpenSuse) in the Windows version and save it, the links (PushButtons) stop working on the Suse system (they still work perfectly on windows though)....

Moreover, if I create a new file in the Windows version of OpenOffice and insert Pushbuttons with hyperlinks, these pushbuttons do not work on the OpenOffice Novell edition for OpenSuse.

Did anybody try this using the OpenOffice (not Novell) in the linux version with a file that had been created on a windows system?

I'm kind of affraid it really is a Novell edition bug.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Did anybody try this using the OpenOffice (not Novell) in the linux version with a file that had been created on a windows system?
If you can attach a sample file, I'd be happy to test it.
Nikos

Post by Nikos »

acknak wrote: If you can attach a sample file, I'd be happy to test it.
Here you go...

and thanx a lot
Attachments
CalcButtonTest.ods
(7.27 KiB) Downloaded 370 times
acknak

Post by acknak »

Works fine for me, with OOo 2.3.0 (Fedora packages) and 2.3.1 (OO.org packages).
Clicking the button takes me right to sheet "Second".
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

+1.
No problem with the button.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Nikos

Post by Nikos »

Well now I know for sure that it is either a Novell edition bug, or my Novell edition is corrupted.

Yesterday I upgraded to OO 2.3.1 Novell edition on the SuSe system, hoping that this would solve my problem. Instead, it became much worse. Now, the SuSe version actually destroys files that have been edited on the windows version (Luckily I discovered this on not-for-work files).

So I guess I 'll try a clean reinstall (and maybe install additionally a not-Novell edition on the SuSe).
acknak

Post by acknak »

I'm not sure what the procedure is, but it would seem prudent to report such problems (assuming they persist after a clean re-install) to Novell.
Nikos

Post by Nikos »

Well now I know for sure that it is either a Novell edition bug, or my Novell edition is corrupted.
Well, shouldn't have been so sure after all....

I found out that the problem arises only when I try to open the files using OpenSuse on a network location. If I first copy them on a local drive there is no problem (yes...even the links are working then)....so for the time I have a workaround (Even though I should report this to th OpenSuse community anyway).

Nonetheless I observed that when I open windows generated OpenOffice files in OpenSuse, OpenSuse adds "execute" (-x) to the permissions I have on that file. So it seems that the two versions really save spreadsheets in a different manner.

Thanx for helping me finding a workaround.