[Solved] Errant double horizontal line: can't delete

Discuss the word processor
aekap

[Solved] Errant double horizontal line: can't delete

Post by aekap »

I have a 230-page document with a double-black horizontal line in the middle of it. I'm not sure where it came from, but I'm guessing it was the result of one of my scene breaks turning into something else (a ***). I cannot delete it, and I've tried everything I can think of. I've even tried copying from several lines ahead and pasting it into a new document, and the line follows me into the new document, even when it isn't part of the text I'm highlighting!

This is making me absolutely crazy. Can someone please tell me how to get rid of this thing? I've tried using delete, backspace, highlighting the surrounding block of text and deleting all of it, and nothing is working.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
openoffice 3.2.1, windows 7
therabi
Volunteer

Re: errant double horizontal line- can't delete

Post by therabi »

aekap wrote:I have a 230-page document with a double-black horizontal line in the middle of it. I'm not sure where it came from, but I'm guessing it was the result of one of my scene breaks turning into something else (a ***). I cannot delete it, and I've tried everything I can think of. I've even tried copying from several lines ahead and pasting it into a new document, and the line follows me into the new document, even when it isn't part of the text I'm highlighting!

This is making me absolutely crazy. Can someone please tell me how to get rid of this thing? I've tried using delete, backspace, highlighting the surrounding block of text and deleting all of it, and nothing is working.
Try looking at Tools> Autocorrect Options> Options find "Apply Borders" and uncheck it.

HTH
OpenOffice.org v3.3, LibO v3.32 on Ubuntu 10.10 and Win7
aekap

Post by aekap »

Thanks for trying to help! Unfortunately, this didn't work.
aekap

Post by aekap »

okay, I've played around some more, and I think what this is is a horizontal ruler. So the question is, how do you delete one of those?
therabi
Volunteer

Post by therabi »

aekap wrote:okay, I've played around some more, and I think what this is is a horizontal ruler. So the question is, how do you delete one of those?
Can you upload a copy to look at?
OpenOffice.org v3.3, LibO v3.32 on Ubuntu 10.10 and Win7
acknak

Post by acknak »

AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

acknak wrote:See this previous thread: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 97&start=0
Should we flog the developer/programmer who came up with this idea? It's amazingly easy to do (the line not the flogging) and almost impossible for a new user to figure out what's happened.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
acknak

Re: Errant double horizontal line: can't delete

Post by acknak »

Yes, if you can find him/her.

It's one of the more obvious design blunders in OOo--especially when Writer could insert one of several kinds of ruler line that would go away if the user pressed Backspace.

OTOH, I've found that at least some of Writer's blunders were originally inherited direct from MS Word--maybe this is another?

There is a request to change the Insert > Horizontal Ruler behavior, which shares this odd design, but not for the autocorrect behavior: Issue 7719: Inconsistent behavior for insert->horizontal line
At least, I couldn't find any request for it.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
PeaceByJesus

Post by PeaceByJesus »

For those in the future who come looking for a fix to this, as i did, nothing would work out of all suggestions except the one to right click above the line and choose Paragraph, and under borders and Line > Style (in middle), click on None. BUT i had to do each one by one, as selecting all would not do it, with or without "Marge with next paragraph checked.

I was working within a table on an html page (see bottom here http://peacebyjesus.witnesstoday.org/An ... Supplement, where i left two lines) I did not have Apply Borders checked in Tools > AutoCorrect> Options > Apply Borders.
Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 3 3200G CPU; 64GB RAM
Grace and peace thru Jesus the Lord. peacebyjesus.net (pages created in Open office)
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

acknak wrote:OTOH, I've found that at least some of Writer's blunders were originally inherited direct from MS Word--maybe this is another?
This seems to be a feature which may have been partially inherited from MS Word. I tested Word 2000 to see if the behavior was the same as in Writer. Both Word 2000 and Writer create horizontal lines by adding a bottom border to the paragraph and it's possible to create consecutive paragraphs having bottom borders with only the border visible on the last paragraph. The behavior is different when trying to remove the horizontal line. In Writer, the bottom border has to be manually removed from each paragraph. In Word 2000, manually removing the border from the the bottom paragraph automatically removes the border from the preceding paragraphs, so in Word, the horizontal line doesn't "move up" like it does in Writer when the border is removed from the bottom paragraph.
zfree

Post by zfree »

If anyone's got this problem: I managed to get rid of my persistent horizontal line by going with the cursor directly to it and selecting Format > Clear Direct Formatting.
LibreOffice 4 on Ubuntu 12.04
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Format > Clear Direct Formatting wll also remove all other direct formatting. To remove the line without removing other direct formatting, use Format > Paragraph and remove the bottom border.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
duncanparkes

Post by duncanparkes »

I've just been having fun with these horizontal lines and I'm sure it's not for the first time. The solution today was to

Code: Select all

Edit -> Select All
Format -> Paragraph ->
  Untick merge with next paragraph
  Set all four borders under line arrangement
  Click OK

Format -> Paragraph ->
  Set No borders
  Click OK
Just going directly to no borders just moved the borders around.

Hopefully next time I come across this I'll find this answer rather than having to work it out again...
Duncan - LibreOffice 3.5.4.2 on Crunchbang
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

duncanparkes wrote:Just going directly to no borders just moved the borders around.
The horizontal line is either the top border of a paragraph, or the bottom border of a paragraph. So, to remove it, you must have the cursor in the paragraph in question before removing the border. If you delete the paragraph with the border, the border just to the previous (next?) paragraph because the default setting is for text to take on the preceding paragraph's attributes.

It is easier to select from before the line(s) to after the line(s). Now remove the borders - it will remove all the borders in the selection - including the unwanted ones.

Setting Show hidden characters helps greatly in this (and many other problems). I think it should be the default when AOO is installed, and when AOO opens a document as it is so useful, but so few newcomers know about it.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

John_Ha wrote:Setting Show hidden characters helps greatly in this (and many other problems). I think it should be the default when AOO is installed, and when AOO opens a document as it is so useful, but so few newcomers know about it.
Unfortunately, most users expect the document to look onscreen exactly as it will be printed (even to exact size in many cases!) and cannot mentally discount the presence of the hidden character indicators. To make /View /Non printing characters the default would cause most users to abandon OpenOffice immediately. That said, I always edit with non printing characters displayed, but have done since before WordStar (do I date myself?)
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

RoryOF wrote:Unfortunately, most users expect the document to look on screen exactly as it will be printed (even to exact size in many cases!) and cannot mentally discount the presence of the hidden character indicators.
Unfortunately, most users don't know what is good for them. I have no idea how they manage to sort out formatting if they don't know what formatting is being used because they cannot see it.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
linuxmick

Post by linuxmick »

OpenOffice 4.1.1
Automatic lines in Writer
1. If you start a new line in a Writer text document by typing three or more hyphen characters and press the Enter key, the characters are removed and the previous paragraph gets a line as a bottom border.
To create a single line, type three or more hyphens (-), or underscores ( _ ), and then press Enter. To create a double line, type three or more equal signs (=), asterisks (*), tildes (~), or hash marks (#), and then press Enter.
2. To remove an automatically drawn border, choose Format - Paragraph - Borders and select no border.
3. To undo an automatic border replacement once, choose Edit - Undo.
4. To disable the automatic borders, choose Tools - AutoCorrect Options - Options and clear Apply border.
OpenOffice 4.1.1/Win8.1
verbalist

Post by verbalist »

I have tried a number of methods to delete unwanted horizontal lines in Writer.

This advice -- "2. To remove an automatically drawn border, choose Format - Paragraph - Borders and select no border." -- is not working for me.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

The horizontal line is either the top border of a paragraph, or the bottom border of a paragraph. So, to remove it, you must have the cursor in the paragraph in question before removing the border. If you delete the paragraph with the border, the border just moves up (down?) to the previous (next?) paragraph because the default setting is for text to take on the preceding paragraph's attributes.

It is easier to select from before the line(s) to after the line(s) including the unwanted line(s). Now remove the borders in the selected paragraphs by Foormat > Paragraph > Borders ... - it will remove all the borders in the selection - including the unwanted ones.

Setting View > Show hidden characters helps greatly in this (and many other problems). I think it should be the default when AOO is installed, and when AOO opens a document as it is so useful, but so few newcomers know about it.
If this does not work, upload a small example file (128kB max) for someone to have a look at it - use the Upload Attachment tab below where you write your post.

verbalist

Post by verbalist »

Thanks. I should have said I had already tried everything suggested in this thread, plus a few others, some possibly involving a live goat and a full moon. However, this time in preparation for uploading a sample I did something different: I cut and pasted the problem section into a new document.

In the process, one of the two under-border lines disappeared from the problem section. I started examining the cut-and-paste document and, perhaps because this was a smaller and more manageable chunk of text than the original document, was able to find the paragraph where the under-border started.

To make a long story a little longer, I was able to remove the under-border from 20 or so paragraphs and finally get it out of the document. I had to do it to each under-bordered paragraph individually. Trying to select a number of paragraphs and remove it in bulk had not worked earlier. Perhaps that was because I had not selected all and only the under-bordered paragraphs.

For future, I'd encourage people having this problem to examine a potentially large number of paragraphs before and perhaps after the problem paragraph and determine where the paragraphs start having the under-border trait. Then remove it individually from every paragraph, using the "format-paragraph-borders-line arrangement default-set no borders" commands. This was somewhat tedious but did eventually remove the lines. I have already set Writer to not automatically create under-borders when several dashes are entered.

Thanks again.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

An easier way: if one types a series of three of a character often used as a text divider ("-", "=" etc), when one presses Enter to terminate that line, immediately autocorrect will apply a border (if it is set to do that, which it is by default). Once the line appears, choose /Edit /Undo (or Ctrl Z) and the line will vanish.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

verbalist wrote:Perhaps that was because I had not selected all and only the under-bordered paragraphs.
Switcth on View > Show non-printing characters ... - it is then obvious which paragraph has the border.
Attachments
Clipboard01.png
Clipboard01.png (11.35 KiB) Viewed 27985 times

zdrej

Post by zdrej »

All answers here are useless.

There should be reset of formating
select all CTRL+a and then reset CTRL+m (and then you go again over all document :-( )

Its anoying, that automation do something that user cannot undo later!! That is why I hate most of that automation and inteligence in Word and Writer. It is not automation bat lack of knowledge and functions for undo it in normal logical way.
win 7, win 8, ubuntu
open office 4.1.2, -||-,
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Go to the paragraph above the line and /Format /Paragraph. On the Borders tab, select to use no borders.

"Lack of knowledge" can be cured by reading the manuals or using the help file, but these require "intelligence".
noface0711
Banned

Post by noface0711 »

Thanks for trying to help! Unfortunately, this didn't work. :(
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Without actual hands-on of your file we are guessing in the dark.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Attachments
Paragraph borders
Paragraph borders
Clipboard02.png (49.29 KiB) Viewed 21851 times
Last edited by John_Ha on Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcamember

Post by mcamember »

I also had this problem with the mysterious double line.
therabi's answer on 10/04/2010 solved it.
Thanks therabi.
afk
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows W2k
oliverpsmile

Re: [Solved] Errant double horizontal line: can't delete

Post by oliverpsmile »

I have the same problem with a very long document to which I added some import
Have tried all solutions above, none works.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 in Windows 8.1 Pro
Please help, this is a book I really need to finish
OpenOffice 4.1.1.
Windows 8.1 Pro
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] Errant double horizontal line: can't delete

Post by RoryOF »

Remove the bottom Border from the Paragraph(s).