[Solved] Given an odt file, can I find its custom ott file?

Using them, Making them, Finding them
CardTrick

[Solved] Given an odt file, can I find its custom ott file?

Post by CardTrick »

I have several custom templates. I have some old data (odt) files and I've forgotten which template was used when they were created. Is it possible from the odt to trace back to the ott it was based on initially?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Ted
Windows XP, OpenOffice 3.2.1
RusselB

Re: Given a Writer odt file, can I find its custom ott file?

Post by RusselB »

I believe that the custom template will be automatically loaded, presuming the template is located in the template directory, when the associated .odt file is opened.
The information regarding which template was used may be (and I suspect is) located in one of the compressed files that make up the .odt
You can change the extension of the .odt file to .zip then open it with any file compression program. My preference is to use WinRar, but there are lots of others.
NOTE: If you decide to try this, I strongly recommend making a copy of the file, then work with the copy.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Open the document and select File > Properties. On the Properties window, click the General tab. The template should be listed there.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
midithru

Post by midithru »

Bill wrote:Open the document and select File > Properties. On the Properties window, click the General tab. The template should be listed there.
[unsolved]
Bill, anyone, any tips on finding the original template if it does not appear in the File > Properties (General) pane? The pane shows at the bottom 'template:' followed by nothing.
OpenOffice version 4.1.2 on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.3
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] Given an odt file, can I find its custom ott fi

Post by RoryOF »

If the template is not listed, OpenOffice doesn't think there is one. Perhaps the file originated in an MS Word system?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
midithru

Post by midithru »

I can't remember where I got the template but it's certain it was not an MS Word thing. I thought it came from createspace but when I look there now they don't have any.

Then I just downloaded a template called standardpaperback.201-500.ott, opened it in OO, looked at Template: in the properties pane, and it didn't show either. Nothing.
OpenOffice version 4.1.2 on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.3
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

CardTrick wrote:I have several custom templates. I have some old data (odt) files and I've forgotten which template was used when they were created. Is it possible from the odt to trace back to the ott it was based on initially?
As a matter of interest, I think that a .ott template file is exactly the same as a .odt file except it has the .ott qualifier.

If you create fred.odt and rename it to fred.ott you then have a template.

AOO seems to read the .ott and name the opened file as Untitled 1 and treat it as a completely new document. This disables the Save ..., function, and forces the Save As ..., function so the user has to choose a new name for it. The original fred.ott is obviously unchanged.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Open a template or any document you want to make a template from.
menu:Files>Templates>Save... and enter a name.
Now this template will be registered as "well known template" of this user.
The template file will be stored in the user profile folder.
The template is availlable in the templates organizer (menu:File>Templates>Organize...).
The template can be edited via menu:File>Templates>Edit...
You may also add your own directories to the places of "well known templates" via menu:Tools>Options>Paths.
When you create a new document from such a template, it will show the template it originates from in the file properties dialog as long as the you open the document on your computer using the profile where the template is registered.
When you open a document whose "well known template" has changed, you get a prompt that the underlying template has changed and if you want to apply the modifications to this document.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

John_Ha wrote: If you create fred.odt and rename it to fred.ott you then have a template.
There is even a command line switch which lets you open any document as a new, unsaved document.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice