OrgChart Creator with Java-API

Talk about anything at all....
hooj

OrgChart Creator with Java-API

Post by hooj »

Hallo,

i have read the OpenOffice 3.0 release notes and wonder why the announced org chart creating component has been removed from the release.
Does anyone know why this component has been removed?

The reason why i'm asking is that i need an org chart creating component with java-api in one of our projects.
Maybe someone knows an alternative component.

greetings

Christoph
OOo 3.2.1 on Ms Windows 7 and SLES 11
foxcole
Volunteer

Re: OrgChart Creator with Java-API

Post by foxcole »

Where are the release notes you found? I saw no mention of an org chart tool on http://development.openoffice.org/relea ... pshot.html nor did I see it in the Features wiki pages at http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Features.
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
keme
Volunteer

Re: OrgChart Creator with Java-API

Post by keme »

hooj wrote:i have read the OpenOffice 3.0 release notes and wonder why the announced org chart creating component has been removed
[ ... ]
Maybe someone knows an alternative component.
Insert a Draw object.

The drawing application of OOo lends itself very well to the creation of org.-charts.
Granted, if you want specific text formatting etc. in the boxes, it takes a little setting up, and it's not quite as fast to get started with as the ad-hoc tool found in MS Office.
On the upside, it is far more flexible. For large scale charts needing several different containers, inter-department links, etc., I find MS Org-chart next to useless.

Once you get the hang of using Draw's connectors, alignment and distribution tools, creating those charts is no problem.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10