X11 - 'Command timed out' error

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
HamptonCaught

X11 - 'Command timed out' error

Post by HamptonCaught »

Welcome beginner. Please answer all of the questions below which may provide information necessary to answer your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which version of OpenOffice.org are you using? 2.4
What Operating System (version) are you using? Mac OSX 10.5.3
What is your question or comment? When I open a Word file, it opens up X11 and I get a window that reads 'bash-3.2$'. This window sits for about a minute before throwing up an error - 'Command timed out'. If I 'OK' that window, then (and only then), Open Office opens up (though I am often asked if I want to recover the Word file I am trying to open before I can view it).

I can't believe this sequence of events is right, but being a very new user of Open Office, I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.

Any help would be much appreciated.
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: X11 - 'Command timed out' error

Post by TheGurkha »

Try to open OOo without a document. Then type any short sentence, and save as an .odt file (the default unless you have specifically changed it to something else). Then close OOo and try to open the new .odt document by doing whatever it is you do on a Mac (you'd double-click on it in Windows) and see if OOo opens correctly and loads this file.

Also, check this link out for more information on X11 and Mac: search with 'command timed out' keywords
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Does it help: Command time out? (a frequent question in the Mac forum).

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

A new OOo Beta 3.0 was released today, it is the first OOo to run on a Mac without the need for X11.

It can be obtained from OpenOffice.org Beta 3.0
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust