Convert .DOC to .ODT? new to this.

Using them, Making them, Finding them
Syncmanatl

Convert .DOC to .ODT? new to this.

Post by Syncmanatl »

Downloaded a template, available as Word or PDF file, from Online Labels. It opens fine as a pdf in the PDF reader that I have, but no editing permitted on free versions. The Word file opens as 15 pages of code? What am I missing/doing wrong?

http://www.onlinelabels.com/Templates/O ... t-word.htm

This particular size is only available as word or PDF.
Last edited by Syncmanatl on Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.1, Windows10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Convert .DOC to .ODT? new to this.

Post by Villeroy »

Show us the file.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Villeroy wrote:Show us the file.
Or give us a link to it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Which type of label is the template for? It seems to me that for most of their label layouts they have OpenOffice templates available for download.

If you find the Avery equivalent, you could also use the label wizard integrated in Writer (File - New - Labels).
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

The downloadable file (ol1245.doc) is not actually a .doc file--at least it's not a standard one. It's a bare xml document (not .docx) encoded as UTF-16 ("Unicode" in OO Writer's character encoding list).

LibreOffice will open it but the result does not appear to be useful. At least it doesn't look anything like a sheet of labels.

Probably easiest to just make your own label document.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

I believe a simple workaround is to use a template for a similar setup with 1" square labels and 0.2" cell margins. The OL5425 should fit, but in my opinion that template is badly made (just a table, where cells will expand to fit content). See my attachment with locked cell size. For optimal utilization of label area I created graphics with a label sized hole in the middle, and wrap to contour. That is what you find on the first page. (First cell's graphics are visible, so you know what I am talking about. The circle cutout graphics are there in the other cells too, but invisible so they won't print.) Second page may be easier to work with but will not utilize label area optimally (cell margins are set to 0.2", so text will use the area of an inscribed square, approximately). Dummy text inserted to show label utilisation.

Please note: The sheet size is "Letter" in my attachment. I can't find any size reference on their pages, so I used the settings from the OL5425 template I mentioned above. If you have A4 sheets (or other), you may need to adjust page margins for good fit, but otherwise I believe it to be useable (haven't tested it on an actual label sheet, though. That will be a task for you :) ).

Note also that I have saved it as a document (so it does not mess up your editing). Take what you can use from it, delete the rest, and save as template if that's what you prefer to work with.
Attachments
labelsheet.odt
(16.74 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10