Crashed files with ####

Discuss the word processor
canopus22991

Crashed files with ####

Post by canopus22991 »

Hi

I have a problem with Open Office Writer file (*.odt).
The content of the file has been replaced with "#" marks (in hex editor it is "00 00 00 00").

Is there any way to recover the file, or at least one of its earlier versions?

I checked folders:
C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\backup
and
C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Temp

The file is not there.

I tried software such as "Recuva" and "Open Office Writer Recovery Software".
No success.
I'm using Windows 8.1 and Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1.

Thanks in advance for you help.
Windows 8.1 and Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: crashed files with ####

Post by Zizi64 »

I think: Nothing to do...

I hope you have some previous versions of your document.

Allways make more than one backup (with different filenames) of your important documents onto more than one (different type) media.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

As Tibor says, you're out of luck. See 22 pages term paper replaced with pound signs for more details.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

canopus22991 wrote:Is there any way to recover the file, or at least one of its earlier versions?
If you are lucky, you might be able to un-delete some of the temporary files which Writer wrote while you were editing the .odt file, and then deleted when you closed Writer. Act quickly - they risk being overwritten the longer you leave it. Note that this only works if you were editing a .odt file - it does not work if you were editing a .doc file.

Using RECUVA to un-delete Writer temporary files which are now deleted

Another on RECUVA

These may also be helpful.

Using 7-ZIP

Inside an odt file

Hints on how to prevent it happening

Always set AutoRecovery to save a copy of the file every few minutes while you are working on it - it protects you against things like power cuts, OS freezes etc. Tools > Options > Load/Save > General ...

Always?? set Create a backup copy to ON - this keeps the previously saved version of the file fred.odt as fred.bak in the Backup folder. Tools > Options > Load/Save > General ... The Backup folder location is shown by Tools > Options > OpenOffice > Paths ... You may need to switch on Show hidden files (Control Panel > Folder Options > View ...) to be able to see the folder and its contents. Why the ??? Because you should remember that highly_personal.bak will still be in the Backup folder long after you have deleted highly_personal.odt!!!
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.