Perfectly Formed Square Root Signs

Discuss the formula editor
happilymambox

Perfectly Formed Square Root Signs

Post by happilymambox »

I use Windows 10.0 and have used OpenOffice versions 2.0, 2.0.4, 3.3, 4.0.0, and now, 4.1.1 to write some math papers that use nested square roots (square roots within square roots within ...).

These papers were written with one of the older versions listed above, and the nested square root signs were formed perfectly (no gaps between the slanting vertical portion of the symbol and the overscore horizontal line portion).

When I now view these papers using version 4.1.1, the square root signs have these unwanted gaps in them. I've kept the previous versions of OpenOffice listed above on my removable hard disk, and would like to return to the latest version that will NOT produce these gaps.

I need to know the following:
1. Which is the latest version I should re-install to get perfectly formed square root signs again, without the gaps?
2. If I uninstall version 4.1.1, do I then simply run the older version's setup.exe file to re-install the appropriate older version?

Thanks in advance.
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Microsoft Windows 10.0
acknak

Re: Perfectly Formed Square Root Signs

Post by acknak »

I remember seeing some posts here about problems with math formulas in newer versions of Windows. I don't know if there was any resolution or workaround.

If would probably be helpful if you could post an example, either paste the formula mark-up or attach a document with the embedded formula.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
happilymambox

Post by happilymambox »

I'm not really looking for a workaround - I would just like to re-install the latest previous version of OpenOffice that produced perfectly formed square root signs. I can't even copy a single page out of the 28 page document to send to you - the act of saving the single page version of the file will re-introduce version 4.1.1's screwed-up method of forming the square roots, and you won't be able to see that they were perfect before the new version screwed them up. You'll just have to take my word for it. It would also take me another fifty years of searching to find out how to attach an ".odt" file to send to you - there is no convenient button here to click on, that tells me how to do it! It's most likely buried on the other side of the universe, to insure that no one who needs to use it will ever be able to find it.

So, I will repeat:

I need to know the following:
1. Which is the latest version I should re-install to get perfectly formed square root signs again, without the gaps?
2. If I uninstall version 4.1.1, do I then simply run the older version's setup.exe file to re-install the appropriate older version?
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Microsoft Windows 10.0
gerard24
Volunteer

Post by gerard24 »

Not related to new/old versions of AOO but to Windows 8 and now 10.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=73057
LibreOffice 6.4.5 on Windows 10
happilymambox

Post by happilymambox »

Thank you very much, gerard24. I followed the link you provided and it explained everything. I now have OpenSymbol_V1.7_new.ttf, new3.ttf, and new4.ttf. I'm guessing I should use the new4.ttf version, but I've never installed or re-installed a font file before. When I look at the .ttf files, the header and font point sizes on the left side are the only characters that do not appear as empty vertical rectangles. Should they be appearing as actual characters? Also, I often use math formulas smaller than 12 point. Will I only be able to use 12 point fonts or larger for math formulas after I install one? When I look at the new .ttf files, there's an "Install" button at the top that I assume is how I install the font, but I still do not know how to un-install the existing font file. Is it a simple enough process that you would be able to describe it, or is it too involved? Thanks again.
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Microsoft Windows 10.0
reuben4

Post by reuben4 »

The Problem still exists. I uploaded an odt file where you can see the problem. And it is still visible when you export the file to pdf.

Is a bugfix planned for that problem?

Thank you very much in advance!
Attachments
square root problem example.pdf
(13.77 KiB) Downloaded 404 times
square root problem example.odt
(11.75 KiB) Downloaded 368 times
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

There are many bugs (or just "flaws"?) in Math, and I am also affected.
This special one was reported long ago for LibreOffice, and is one of the few concerning Math meanwhile fixed there.

However, in the mess the LibO askbot site makes of everything I cannot find the mentioned threads now again.
I also do not remember in what way the bug was fixed. Probably that fix was based on a reworked opens___.ttf font (OpenSymbol Standard), and might also work under AOO when using the fixed font. I know nothing about font technology and cannot judge.

(My version of opens___.ttf is of 2017-06-22, but (C)2009 SUN.)
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

Made a quick test wit AOO 4.1.5 Portable. It came with a OpenSymbol font opens___.ttf (C)2010 Oracle. I am not sure which one of the fonts is actually used by it. Anyway "your bug" lived happily in my AOO while it did not show in LibO after forcing re-rendering by a fake edit operation.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
reuben4

Post by reuben4 »

I had the same problem with LibreOffice still after re-rendering. :-(
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5
Windows 10
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

The issue may not depend on the font as I had suspected. Testing with some older versions of LibO from my software museum I found that V5.2.0 still rendered the root badly. V 5.4.4 did it well. I suppose there was a bug fix in-between, but I couldn't find something about it in the bugs.documentfoundation.org.

My tests were made with portable versions which may access fonts distributed with the same package, and these opens___ variants differ. V5.2.0 came with v 102.7 while V5.4.4 had v 102.10.

Please test yourself and draw your conclusions.
---
Lupp from München