OpenOffice for iPhone

Issues with smartphones, tablets and all portable devices
dsky

OpenOffice for iPhone

Post by dsky »

Are there any plans to write an iPhone app for a fully editable version of Open Office? I've installed OOReader on my phone, but I still must use a Microsoft Office product to do editing. Even if the Microsoft products are free, it still means I'm using two different platforms to get the work done; and they're not 100% compatible.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved topic from Beginners forum to General Discussion
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Open Office for iPhone

Post by Villeroy »

There are no plans to implement an office suite on a phone.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
dsky

Re: OpenOffice for iPhone

Post by dsky »

That's too bad. It looks like Open Office is going the same route as most other corporations, such as Microsoft: It reaches a point where it's not interested in giving its users what they really care about. Your curt & very impersonal reply, Villeroy, is about par with what we get back from companies who don't want to be bothered with us anymore.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

AOO is developed by volunteers, not a corporation. If you need a version developed for the iPhone, then find developers who will volunteer to do it.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

dsky wrote:That's too bad. It looks like Open Office is going the same route as most other corporations, such as Microsoft: It reaches a point where it's not interested in giving its users what they really care about. Your curt & very impersonal reply, Villeroy, is about par with what we get back from companies who don't want to be bothered with us anymore.
We volunteers on the Forum give of our time and expertise on a pro bono basis. In consequence we tend to be terse and to the point. The question posed has been answered already quite a number of times on the forum; a little searching would have found such replies.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
dsky

Post by dsky »

I searched but found nothing.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Then you should hone your searching skills.
90 hits on my first try
search.php?keywords=iphone
dsky

Post by dsky »

My searching skills are just fine, thank you. About as good as your help with my question.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

i have given you a link to 90 postings in which iPhone has been discussed - postings you couldn''t find. You can read them, I suppose?
toplogger

Post by toplogger »

The Guys who volunteer to help the millions users have been top tier all the way. This site would become a blog for nothing but criticism if they didn't handle themselves in the most professional way...Kudos!

Not being critical to the guy posting, just a point of view. Good luck to you, I have the same problem. I will post if I find something that is useable.
open office 4.1.5
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

https://www.collaboraoffice.com/release ... p_for_ios/

The Collabora Office was created on the codebase of the LibreOffice, and the LibreOffice was created on the codebase of the OpenOffice.

In my opinion a phone (a phone size device) is not the best tool to edit documents.
I have the same problem. I will post if I find something that is useable.
...just buy a Linux laptop. That is cheaper and better for editing documents than the iPhone. :D :bravo:
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
toplogger

Post by toplogger »

I understand.
open office 4.1.5
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

toplogger wrote:I will post if I find something that is useable.
Apple offers a free office suite for iPhone and iPad. [Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q30/A30
Zizi64 wrote:In my opinion a phone (a phone size device) is not the best tool to edit documents.
Agreed. However Apple's office suite was designed for use on a phone or tablet.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

Office 700
Based on OpenOffice but not free, it will set you back $4 direct from the App Store.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

I don't understand why anyone would even want to use a smartphone for word processing or spreadsheet editing. Doing that on a 14'' 640*480 px non-interlaced monitor (endearingly called a fish bowl :ouch: ) was bad enough. :crazy:
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The Collabora Office is a "fork" of the LibreOffice, (and the LO is a fork of the OpenOffice.org/Oracle OpenOffice)
Collabora brings smooth editing to Android and iOS
https://www.collaboraoffice.com/press-r ... d-android/

Download:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/collabora ... 1440482071
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
sveld

Post by sveld »

Collabora Office is not a Fork but rater a Branch as it closely follows LibreOffice's branch while major releases are based on the LO Still (stable) and pulling patches in during the lifecycle of that version while pushing new features and patches upstream to LibreOffice. A fork would mean breaking and never look back, like both Apache OO and Libreoffice forked from the original openoffice.org project.

The single (most important) reason Collabora Office exists it is just another build of the LibreOffice code which enables Collabora to get you (companies, organisations) Enterprise- and Long Term Support, if that's important to you; it's more like a "Powered by Colabora" LibreOffice. There's also a CIB build of LibreOffice which also provides enterprise level support (never used it but think this is branded as Libreoffice Power By CIB).

The LibreOffice for IOS and Android Apps are today branded as "Collabora Office", reason is one has to pay (infrastructure, tools, time) to get an app in the different appstores. Collabora has some sponsors which allowed them to develop LibreOffice for IOS and Android and also spend a load of their own time to get this done and get you these apps for free. Tough it branded it's still open source LibreOffice. Later this year the Document Foundation (the organization behind LibreOffice) has planned to release Apps which are branded as "LibreOffice" in app stores, not limited to IOS and Android but also for MacOS and the Windows Store so installing and updating get's easy for users as it's get harder (more restrictions) to install software outside from app stores. This LibreOffice version in these app stores needs to be paid for to cover the costs of getting the solution in these stores. The session last Fosdem on this can be found there https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/ ... t_editors/
LibreOffice 24.2.0.3 on Win11 and Linux (mostly openSUSE Tumbleweed), Collabora Office App on IOS and Android, Collabora Office Online (CODE) with Nextcloud
sveld

Post by sveld »

"I don't understand why anyone would even want to use a smartphone for word processing or spreadsheet editing"

It may be the greatest for creating new "large and complex" documents (desktop app is a better fit there) but rather the ability to Open documents (-without- conversion) and make small edits (typo's, adjustments) then save back in the same format. These "apps" allow you to open and save the same document formats the desktops versions does; compare this to opening older Microsoft DOC (etc), OOXML (DOCX etc) and other formats opening in the Word or Excel App's, there just import the document and convert that to a closed-formatted OOXML which you may be able to adjust and save, but you end up with two documents (which is rather confusing for users and has the obvious goal to lock you in the closed OOXML format). The OO/LO apps allow you to open, adjust and save -any- supported format -including- ODF, so these apps provide an extension as they at least allow you to open documents, show them as you created them on any other platform and this leveraging a single app on your phone/tablet. Mind that for editing or opening documents with MS Office or Google Apps like OneDrive or Google Drive is required to be installed else you end up being limited in their functionality. So to say, if you want to open documents in you mail apps of downloaded stuff on your phone installing the Libreoffice/Collabora Office App on your phone allows you to do that. You can remove or disable any Microsoft or Google releated document sync/edit apps then, so you have more controle on where you document data goes, if you care about that.

Then there are like schools where students work more with tablets and while working in the cloud with the LO/OO Apps (whichever you like) allow the to work with this solution and offers choice while maintaining (document) freedom without lockin.
LibreOffice 24.2.0.3 on Win11 and Linux (mostly openSUSE Tumbleweed), Collabora Office App on IOS and Android, Collabora Office Online (CODE) with Nextcloud