[Solved] Where is the OOo Changelog ?

Talk about anything at all....
Cobby

[Solved] Where is the OOo Changelog ?

Post by Cobby »

Hi, Is there some changelog somewhere,
i would like to know about *why* I should update from 2.4.0 to 2.4.1 :)
Last edited by Cobby on Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Windows XP SP3, Core2 Duo 2.6Ghz, 2GB Mem, 3 * 1Tb Harddrives, ATI 1950XTX Graphics.
OOo 2.3.X on Ms Windows XP
Hagar Delest

Re: Where us the OO Changelog ?

Post by Hagar Delest »

-> http://development.openoffice.org/releases/2.4.1.html.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Cobby

Re: [SOLVED] Where is the OO Changelog ?

Post by Cobby »

Thanks Hagar.
Windows XP SP3, Core2 Duo 2.6Ghz, 2GB Mem, 3 * 1Tb Harddrives, ATI 1950XTX Graphics.
acknak

Post by acknak »

For the vast majority of users, the decision about upgrading will be the opposite: "Why not?"

Normally, skipping an upgrade that doesn't offer something you need is a prudent strategy. However, OpenOffice is not a mature product and important changes are made in every release. Almost every release will include fixes and updates that affect every user, whether or not they use a particular feature. E.g. 2.4.0 to 2.4.1 includes security-related fixes, if I remember correctly.

And, as you may have already noticed, it's not a trivial task to review the list of changes and determine accurately whether or not any of the changes are important to you.

Further, when your primary source of support is the community, most of whom are using the latest release, you increase your chances for getting help with a problem when you are also running the same software.

Unless you have some specific situation that makes upgrading a larger problem, you'll want to upgrade every time.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Cobby

Post by Cobby »

Thanks acknar,

The problem with these updates is that they overwrite your spellcheck dictionaries, thereby removing all the additions I made to the dutch dictionary. :cry:

The should be an option to not overwrite the dictionary files (if not needed to be updated for some reason).
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Then, see that thread: [Tutorial] Spell check and Language configuration, especially section 3.
acknak

Re: [Solved] Where is the OO Changelog ?

Post by acknak »

Sorry, I forgot about that problem--thanks, Hagar, for the link to that issue. What a mess.

It seems that the issue will be resolved for OOo 3, although I'm not convinced that moving dictionaries to extensions is really the best solution, as a dictionary will be--in many cases--a shared, system-wide resource. Such a resource should be managed at the system level, not at the user/application level.

That's already done with the Fedora OOo packages, where dictionaries are installed as part of "language pack" rpms. A specific language pack can be automatically upgraded to replace the dictionary and my custom additions are safe in my user settings.

I assume it works the same for Debian and Ubuntu; I don't understand why it isn't done that way on Windows as well.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Caracalla
Volunteer

Post by Caracalla »

acknak wrote: I assume it works the same for Debian and Ubuntu; I don't understand why it isn't done that way on Windows as well.
At a guess, because MS doesn't want you to use its dictionaries with programs it did not make. It is not a nice company.
Has your question been answered? Then please add [solved] to the title of your thread.
My pet peeve, No support for international ordinal numbering
please vote

Er is nu ook een Nederlandstalig forum!
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Opensuse 11.1
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Caracalla wrote:At a guess, because MS doesn't want you to use its dictionaries with programs it did not make. It is not a nice company.
I think that the OOo code is not so good and I agee with acknak. Dictionaries as extensions may be a nightmare for admins. I don't understand why we can't use a standard /dic folder and check its content when upgrading (both dictionary.lst file and the dictionaries files).