[Issue + Workaround] Question on using autocomplete...

Discuss the spreadsheet application
WraithX

[Issue + Workaround] Question on using autocomplete...

Post by WraithX »

Hello everyone,

I think I may be having a problem with the Autocomplete feature built-in to Calc. (If what I'm about to describe is actually another feature, I'd like to know so I can search/ask for how to use that.) When I am in a spread-sheet with data already in it, and I start typing into a new cell (below other similar cells), a complete string is suggested to make data entry quicker. However, when I press "Enter" to accept the suggestion, the case of what I had started typing is not changed to match what the suggestion was implying would be matched.

Does anyone know how to set it up so that no matter what case (or lack thereof) I start typing in, when a suggestion is presented (matching data already in the spread-sheet higher up in the current column) that when I press "Enter" to accept the suggestion, the cell I am in gets changed to match the data that is already present higher up in the spread-sheet? If any of that is not clear, please let me know and I'll try to un-muddy the waters.

-David C.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged thread as Issue (link to a bug report).
acknak

Re: Question on using autocomplete...

Post by acknak »

OOo calls it "Autoinput". You can turn it off under Tools > Cell Contents > Autoinput ON/OFF

I think you'll find that Calc's autoinput is simply offering the first matching cell in the column about the entry cell as the completion. Calc actually makes a list of all the matching cells in the column above, and you can step through that list using TAB/Shift+TAB (or so the help says; it doesn't work for me for some reason). You can also type Ctrl+D and pick from the list.

Unfortunately, that's about all the choice you get. If that won't work for you, then you'll have to turn it off and type exactly you want.

One other possibility would be to use an input list--then you can just provide the properly capitalized inputs to choose from.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
WraithX

Post by WraithX »

Thank you for the correct name. When I use Tab/Shift+Tab, it does scroll through all matching inputs. But, I was getting the same results with that method. When I used Ctrl+D to pick from the list, it worked just fine. However, when just regular typing or using Tab/Shift+Tab and then pressing enter, Autoinput wouldn't correct the case of what was already typed.

Then, when I tried a different input, it actually worked the way I expected it to. It turns out that, whenever there is a zig-zag red underline in the field that is being matched, the Autoinput will complete the field, but not correct the case of any of the already typed letters. If there are no zig-zag red underlines in the field being matched, then it will correct the case of the letters already typed to match what is being suggested. I think that this is a bug in the way Autoinput does its job. Does anyone else agree? Should I (maybe) submit this as a bug report somewhere?

Anyway, short of reprogramming Calc, could someone let me know how to get rid those red zig-zag underlines so I can use the Autoinput feature. Maybe by using IgnoreAll, or maybe by adding it to one of the dictionaries? Is there a way that would be best? Any info greatly appreciated.
acknak

Post by acknak »

The red underlining is a misspelled word--try turning off "Autospellcheck" (toolbar icon).
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
WraithX

Post by WraithX »

That fixed it! Thank you very much, Autoinput now works perfectly for me.
Hagar Delest

Re: [Issue + Workaround] Question on using autocomplete...

Post by Hagar Delest »

For information, there is a bug report for that, seems to be a new bug : Issue 82053 - AutoInput: Capital letter attribute not copied when AutoSpellCheck is on.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10