[Solved] OpenOffice 4.1.1 CRASHES on Windows 10 Home

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
ralphhosmer

[Solved] OpenOffice 4.1.1 CRASHES on Windows 10 Home

Post by ralphhosmer »

My Problem: After closing an OO.ods document (with Windows File Explorer window open on the desktop): NO RESPONSE from mouse/keyboard with cursor on File Explorer Window; CAN OPEN most applications from Desktop Icon or Taskbar Icon {The exception is OpenOffice 4.1.1: double-click on Desktop shortcut Icon shows it's trying, but fails to open}.

Environment at time of Problem: Windows 10 'File History' is Turned On, Windows 10 'Malicious Software Removal Tool' is installed {not sure if it runs in background}, McAffee [Anti-Virus Plus] Updates are in-process; McAffee Scan is in-process.

Fix attempts: mouse-over File Explorer Icon on Taskbar and click Close 'X' on the Icon's mini-display: SUCCESSFUL: The unresponsive File Explorer window on the desktop was CLOSED; Run: services.msc [No Help: OpenOffice not part of 'Services']

6.Feb.2015 response from RoryOF: re: OO 4.1.1 Crashes on Windows 8.1 Pro x64:
Any program that touches open OpenOffice files has been reported to cause instability of OpenOffice. Such programs include continuous backup utilities, and improperly configured virus/malware scanners that scan OO files unnecessarily.
NOTE: I downloaded OpenOffice 4.1.1 from the Official Site (Apache?) last year, and, for the most part, have been satisfied with it's use.

QUESTIONS: 1): Are there any plans / schedules to either update OpenOffice or provide BugFix(s)? The alternatives seem to be either ignore the "Freeze" problems and RESTART the computer, or CONVERT to USE of LibreOffice, as others have done.

Thanks, Ralph Hosmer, Harlingen, TX
Last edited by ralphhosmer on Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10 Home
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: OpenOffice 4.1.1 CRASHES on Windows 10 Home

Post by Villeroy »

Always the same answer. Released versions of OpenOffice are stable.

If turns out to be unstable on your particular system, try the following:
1) Reset your user profile and see if it makes any difference.
2) Start the system in safe mode and see if it makes any difference.
3) Install an alternative produce such as LibreOffice.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
ralphhosmer

Post by ralphhosmer »

Villeroy,
Is LibreOffice a 'Supported' product, or is it another 'Collaborative' product ?

I hate to be a pessimist, but this 'instability' of OpenOffice 4.1.1 seems to be an ongoing problem since it was released.
Thanks for the TIPS,
Ralph Hosmer, Harlingen, TX
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

This instability is on your system and nowhere else. Other systems may have other instabilities. Nobody can do anything about it without being able to reproduce the instability. There is no known instability problem with OO4.1.1. Developers can not fix any problem they don't see.
Windows systems are broken by design, particularly when they are forced to run all this "security" snake oil interfering with each and every useful process.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Start TaskManager (Ctrl Shift Esc) and kill any soffice processes shown on TM's Processes tab.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
ralphhosmer

Post by ralphhosmer »

If I had to bet, I'd say that Vileroy & RoryOF favor LINUX over WINDOWS. I think I can see why.

Before I got the BSOD (error: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT) and the promised Restart never happened, I did see several soffice processes in the Resource Monitor: I'll remember to kill them for the next time.

For my future reference (when I break down and buy another computer_), is there any differences in reported "Instability" between Intel processor computers vs AMD processor computers ??

Thanks again for all the help !!
Ralph Hosmer, Harlingen, Tx
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

One of the chief developers tested AOO in Win 10 and found it was stable. Please note that while this forum is kindly hosted by Apache, all staff members are volunteers, users like you, even if some of them have worked with OO for many years.
We'll have to find out how AOO works on Win 10 in practice, just give it (and the users) some time to find any problems.
An update is in the works, maybe they're waiting for more experience with Win 10 before it's published.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
MSD1976

Post by MSD1976 »

Open Office keeps failing to open (I get a message saying 'Not Working') each time I try to open a couple of spreadsheet files. These files have been scanned and checked and no errors found on them and they are opening fine on other programs such as Excel when I check at the library. Also other Open Office files are opening without problems. I recently had three files open in Open Office (including a blank doc) and managed to save and close them all down without problems. However when I next went to open a different file Open Office tried to 'recover' those last files and crashed. Is there a way to stop it trying to automatically recover files? I have the documents saved on two USBs and a second back up in the Cloud so I can recover it myself from any of those. Also some of the files it tries to 'recover' have been deleted so I want to stop it looking for those. Btw the 'cancel' button is greyed out on the launch screen.

I have just upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 and have installed the newest version of Open Office 4.1.1 as the problems were happening with the last version. However this does not seem to have resolved the matter. Only certain files are failing to open.

Matt
Open Office 4.1.1 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

ralphhosmer wrote:If I had to bet, I'd say that Villeroy & RoryOF favor LINUX over WINDOWS. I think I can see why.
I don't speak for Villeroy, but I have used linux exclusively for about 6 years. It gives a new lease of life to older computers - the one I'm writing on at present is 8 years old, I find it very stable - no loss of text in five 80-100 thousand word volumes, no crashes on the five or six presentations I give every year. If you get a new computer, put the old one on to a linux distro of your choice. When I got a Win 8 laptop it ran like a snail out of the box. I couldn't wait to get linux on it.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

ralphhosmer wrote:If I had to bet, I'd say that Vileroy & RoryOF favor LINUX over WINDOWS. I think I can see why.

Before I got the BSOD (error: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT) and the promised Restart never happened, I did see several soffice processes in the Resource Monitor: I'll remember to kill them for the next time.
I've never seen this error. A Google search for "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT" leads me to believe that this is a CPU hardware error and has nothing to do with OpenOffice. You should find other discussions elsewhere for help. If this started after upgrading to Windows 10, then you may need a BIOS/UEFI update, but you should check with your computer manufacturer for advice.
ralphhosmer wrote:For my future reference (when I break down and buy another computer_), is there any differences in reported "Instability" between Intel processor computers vs AMD processor computers ??
I've used both successfully. If you're looking for reports, use Google to find them. I wouldn't rely on testimonials claiming that one is more stable than the other.
Last edited by Bill on Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I have had no stability problems with CPUs from either manufacturer.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The one thing I strongly suggest is that you delete or rename your OO user profile - I don't remember seeing in the thread that you had done so.
The other thing I suggest (as a temporary test) is that you disconnect from the Internet (disconnect the network cable from the computer or turn off the router); then stop both McAfee and Windows malicious whatsit. The disconnect is to make sure you don't catch an infection while these are stopped. If OO runs stable with those stopped, you have to suspect some adjustment is needed in their settings, or that perhaps one or other or both are not happy coexisting.
ralphhosmer

Post by ralphhosmer »

Thanks to ALL for all the help and Tips.
I'll mark this one SOLVED.
Ralph
MSD1976

Re: [SOLVED] OpenOffice 4.1.1 CRASHES on Windows 10 Home

Post by MSD1976 »

I am still confused
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

MSD1976 wrote:I am still confused
Hire some local Windows support.
ralphhosmer

Post by ralphhosmer »

To Bill:
My HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) was updated yesterday, and after the BSOD (which did NOT automatically do a RESTART, as promised), I did a HARD Power-OFF/ON and the ESC..ESC... process to get the Startup Menu, F2 to get the Diagnostics and Ran the System Quick Test (PASSED) before continuing the Startup. All OK, including OpenOffice 3.1.1 and NO "soffice" processes present in the Resource Monitor. As to the BSOD error: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT, see: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... s.85).aspx.
Thanks again for all the help.
Ralph
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

MSD1976 wrote:I am still confused
Try resetting the user profile . If that does not work, you should start your own thread with all the pertinent info you supplied earlier.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The BSOD CLOCK_WATCHDOG etc error may be cured with a BIOS update; for that you need to check the computer/motherboard manufacturers site. It is not an OpenOffice problem.
MSD1976

Post by MSD1976 »

How do I reset the User Profile (and what is this)? I have managed to successfully get one of the files to open, save, and again open (I opened it on another computer with Excel, saved it in Excel format and that file then opened ok with my Open Office. I then saved it again as an Open Office file and that has been working ok tonight).

Matt
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

The user profile stores all the settings fro AOO. See viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426 for an explanation and how to reset it.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Argo

Post by Argo »

Two problems I found with Windows 10 and OO.
1) Unable to pin the shortcut to the taskbar.
2) When trying to insert picture from scanner, program crashes and a pop-up comes up saying: Open Office 4.1.1 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.
The process works as far as the scanning preview, then when you click "Scan", the scanner runs but nothing comes up, except the error pop-up, that is.
Open Office 3.4.1
Windows 7
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Argo wrote:Unable to pin the shortcut to the taskbar.
Which shortcut? You should be able to pin any program shortcut to the Taskbar by dragging it to the Taskbar or right-clicking it and selecting "Pin to Taskbar".
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Argo

Post by Argo »

Thanks Bill. I have restarted the computer and it now works. Previously I was getting the "Not allowed" sign.

But the scanning problem persists.
Attachments
OpenOfficeError.JPG
Open Office 3.4.1
Windows 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Then stop wasting time over it, at least for the short term. Scan to an external application and use /Insert /Picture to put the image into the file.
 Edit: I'm a long time away from Windows but remember two things that may help. One is that TWAIN scanner drivers were more successful with earlier versions of OpenOffice; the second was that Windows (and hence OpenOffice) did not pick up scanner drivers until the system was restarted after installation of the drivers. 
Argo

Post by Argo »

Thanks a lot for your help. That is how I am working around it for the time being.
Open Office 3.4.1
Windows 7
SFCable
Banned

Re: [Solved] OpenOffice 4.1.1 CRASHES on Windows 10 Home

Post by SFCable »

Hello Forum ,
OpenOffice 4.1.1 CRASHES on Windows 10 Home then issue might be a Windows 10 'File History' is Turned On with default schedule of Backup every hour {not sure if it runs in background}, Windows 10 System Image Backup installed with default schedule: every Sunday @ 7 PM {not sure if it runs in background}, Windows 10 'Malicious Software Removal Tool' is installed {not sure if it runs in background}, McAffee [Anti-Virus Plus] Updates are in-process (41%); McAffee Scan is in-process (25%).
[url=https://www.sfcable.com/network-ethernet-cables.html]ethernet cables[/url] | [url=https://www.sfcable.com/cables-hdmi.html]HDMI extenders[/url]