Windows 10 upgrade issue

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
kes_0

Windows 10 upgrade issue

Post by kes_0 »

Hello all, I have today upgraded to Windows 10 am running version 4.1.1 and I am getting the following issues with the word elements of openoffice.
Documents only opening in read only, cannot save as it says i must contact the administrator to do so, have tried copying the document and then saving still getting the same issues, have tried the edit document button no success there either...help please as i cannot see how to change the administrator rights bit within openoffice and even if I run windows 10 as the administrator it makes no difference. I should also say that when trying to save a copy its says it cannot be save due to missing access rights?
windows 10 open office version 4.1.1
tmhartsr

Re: Windows 10 upgrade issue

Post by tmhartsr »

Yeah - me too. Installed Windoze 10 today and now all of my existing Open Office documents open read only. Running version 4.1.1. How do I fix this mess quick please.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10
henky

Post by henky »

Me too. Installed Windoze 10 and now all of my existing Open Office documents open read only.
Running version 4.1.1.
How do I fix this mess quick please.
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I don't use Windows (except old version for access to archived files) but this link, with contents adjusted for Windows 10, may help
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/326549

The problem appears to be caused by Windows 10 - there are reports of other files (not merely OpenOffice files) being read-only after the upgrade.

There is said to be a fix at
http://users.accesswave.ca/~hamilton/Windows10/
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
tmhartsr

Post by tmhartsr »

Rory
Thank you for your quick reply. I found a rather simple fix - I think? Select the containing folder, documents for example. Right click and select properties. Read Only will be selected. Click Read Only to remove that selection and select include sub-files and folders then hit apply. Just did this and so far? it is working for me. Can't believe that Microstupid did this!
Terry
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

RoryOF wrote:I don't use Windows (except old version for access to archived files) but this link, with contents adjusted for Windows 10, may help
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/326549

The problem appears to be caused by Windows 10 - there are reports of other files (not merely OpenOffice files) being read-only after the upgrade.

There is said to be a fix at
http://users.accesswave.ca/~hamilton/Windows10/
That "fix" changes the owner to Everyone and gives everyone full control of the files. Normally, a user's files should be owned by the user of the account. On my system, only the user, SYSTEM and the Administrators group have Full control permission. No one else has access to the files.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
jisaacs

Post by jisaacs »

Today Open office would not even open. So I decided to uninstall open office again. But I was unable to uninstall the program until I close yada yada yada. Task manager shows I have 26 open office processes running. I suspect that there is a basic incompatibility between open office and windows 10. Can anyone help me? Now my predicament is that I cannot open any of my open office files because they are in a format that apparently nobody on earth can open.
Open Office 4.1.1 on Windows 10
jisaacs

Post by jisaacs »

OK. Now I am getting somewhere, and maybe this will help some of you who are experiencing the same problems I am having. I have already gone through the whole process of setting permissions for everyone to have access to my whole drive and I have attempted to remove all the locks and hides, to no avail. But a minute ago I decided to create a new folder c:\spreadsheet. Then I cut two of my files that were in my computer\calc and I pasted them into my new folder. I also shut down the 26 open office processes that were running. Now I am able to run the files that I moved. And when I close the files, the open office process disappears from the list in Task Manager. So microsoft's wonderful file structure seemingly has some special autolocking glitches in windows 10. Next I will recopy all of my spreadsheetr files into the new directory. I will also set up another folder c:\text and put all of my other open office files there.

This is a rather klutzy workaround, but I'll live with it until the w10 dust starts to settle.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I doubt that your workaround is necessary. The description in your other post suggests that you had some lock files that existed when you upgraded to Windows 10. See my reply in Re: Migration to Windows 10
jisaacs

Post by jisaacs »

Thanks for your response. I followed your procedure and was unable to find any locked files. There is a blatant flaw in Windows 10. I trust that microsoft might eventually be able to solve the problem. Meanwhile I have moved about 50,000 files into new territory where I can now access them.
jisaacs

Post by jisaacs »

Update: Further search reveals that there were about half a dozen files with the lock marker mentioned in your link. Preliminary evidence is that this may have been the culprit. I will continue to check to make sure that the lock problem does not recur.

Thanks again for this valuable tip.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Such lock files can be left over if OpenOffice or the operating system crashes. They can sometimes be left if the computer is closed down too quickly after OpenOffice is closed. Under normal conditions they should not occur.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

jisaacs wrote:Thanks for your response. I followed your procedure and was unable to find any locked files. There is a blatant flaw in Windows 10. I trust that microsoft might eventually be able to solve the problem. Meanwhile I have moved about 50,000 files into new territory where I can now access them.
No, it's not a flaw in Windows 10. If it were, I would have the same problem and it would have been reported on Windows 10 forums where real Windows 10 problems have been actively discussed for months. Your description of what happened matches exactly what I would expect to happen if OpenOffice lock files weren't deleted before upgrading the operating system. Microsoft can't fix the problem because Microsoft has nothing to do with the lock files other than preserving them during the upgrade. It is OpenOffice that is locking the file and reporting that the file is locked, not Microsoft.
jisaacs

Post by jisaacs »

Thanks. As I responded earlier I found that your analysis is correct. I finally found and deleted the dozen or so locked files and that solved the problem.
muelled

Post by muelled »

Windows 10 opens my OO calc documents stored in dropbox using excel. I have tried to change the default so OO should be default for everything it can do. Still OO calc docs open in Excel. Is there a way to delete "open excel" and "open word" from my pc? I an considering going back to Windows 7, which is much easier to live with. I do not find one improvement in 10 over 7 to tell the truth.
open office 4.1.1 with Mac OS 10.9.4
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

If you haven't been using Windows 10 for more than 30 days (if memory serves), then you can use the Restore option to go back to Windows 7.
Please note that not all of the Windows 7 settings you had/were used to will be restored by doing this, despite the fact that Microsoft says that your system will be restored to that previous to the Windows 10 upgrade.
Not only did I find no improvements using Windows 10 vs. 7, I found that some of my programs ran slower and I was unable to customize the Start menu to match what I wanted, thus I went back to 7.

I do note that your signature indicates you are using Mac OS 10.9.4, yet you specify Windows 7 and 10 in your post,

As to removing the items you specified, a Windows 10 user might know how, but I suggest just going back to Windows 7, if that option is available.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

If for some reason the Default Program setting doesn't work, reinstall AOO and choose a custom installation. You should be offered an option to set AOO as the default program for opening MS Office files.
Last edited by Bill on Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
muelled

Post by muelled »

Sounds like a good idea, I will try it
open office 4.1.1 with Mac OS 10.9.4